Are Saline Implants Safe?

i am thinking about getting saline implants but i am afraid because i have lyme disease and am afraid of getting sicker. my lyme doctor told me that saline implants still have a silicone shell and even though the fda has approved them women are still getting sick with them. i have read a study about how it is easy for microbes to survive inside the implant as well as the possibility of funguses developing in the implant. is there a reason why some women get sick with them and others dont?

Are Saline Implants Safe?

+2

You should never have a cosmetic surgical treatment if you are not comfortable with it and feel confident in your surgeon's opinion.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Yes, some people think they are the safest of all as they are only filled with salt water and if they break you will know instantly 

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Saline implants and safety.

+1

Saline implants are safe devices approved for breast augmentation by the FDA. I have provided the link to the FDA website regarding the safety of breast implants. Here you can find the actual data in regards to the safety of these devices. The decision to have a breast augmentation is a choice and not for everyone. A consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon may help to answer your questions in more detail than this forum.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Saline breast implants are safe

+1

Saline implants are very well investigated and approved by the FDA for breast augmentation. They do not cause any illness, and if used with a closed fill system will not contain any fungus or molds. We feel saline is safe choice for women who wish a fuller breast.

Saline implant safety

+1

Bacteria or fungi in a saline implant is rare and almost always due to sloppy surgical technique. Consult with an experienced breast surgeon to get the facts straight as both saline and silicone implants have strong safety profiles. Nothing in life is risk free but breast augmentation performed by a qualified surgeon in a proper setting has a very acceptable risk rate.  Good luck!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Saline implants safe

+1

Saline implants and silicone implants are both safe, and many studies have shown that there is no relationship with autoimmune disorders.

Implant safety

+1

The reason silicon-gel filled breast implants were removed from the American market by the FDA in 1992 was that there were several anecdotal reports of women with breast implants developing autoimmune problems.  So a moratorium was called, and the problem was extensively studied.

Study after study demonstrated that the rate of automimmune problems was no greater in women with breast implants than in the general population of women.  The evidence was so strong, in fact, that class action law suit settlements for autoimmune problems in women with breast implants were stopped.

That is not to say that breast implants do not have their potential problems.  The most common problem is tightening of the lining of the implant pocket, or "capsular contracture", which occurs in a few percent of women with breast implants.  One of the current theories about the development of capsular contracture is that it is related to bacterial colonies forming "biofilms" inside the implant pocket, not OUTSIDE of the implant.  That is why Plastic Surgeons observe strict sterile technique, minimize handling of the implant, and most use antibiotics both systemically and as irrigation of the implant pocket.  These measures minimize the risk of developing capsular contracture.

So, breast implants are quite safe, but there are some minor risks every patient needs to be aware of.  Developing an autoimmune disease is, however, NOT one of these risks.  Bacterial infection problems and capsular contracture are rare and can be minimized with the appropriate precautions. 

I am not sure where your doctor is getting his information, but I suggest you have a consultation with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss the facts and your options.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon