I Am Going to Have my Saline Implants Removed. Should I Remove the Capsules?

I am going to have my 10 year old saline breast implants removed. Should I also have the capsules removed, I have been having minimal discomfort in the left breast, under the armpit and around the chest area. My doctor told me the capsule and scar tissue will absorb into my body so I could use a local anesthesia and remove only the implants. Is this the wisest?

Capsulectomy questions

+1

If the capsule is removed it increases the risk of bleeding.  If a silicone gel implant has ruptured then removal of the capsule would be recommended otherwise I would leave it alone unless it was calcified.  If there is distortion of the breast after implant removal may also be a reason to remove the capsule.

Capsulectomy with Breast Implant Removal?

+1

If your breasts implant capsules are soft and asymptomatic,  they do not necessarily have to be removed. In that case, breast implants can  usually be removed under local anesthesia.

Removal of capsule depends on many factors!

+1

After only ten years most capsules might not need to be removed. If the capsules are calcified or very symptomatic then removal should be considered. You need to dicuss this thoroughly with your surgeon.

Arturo Guiloff, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Removing breast implants

+1

It all depends on how the capsule is now.  If it's hard and/or painful, you'll most likey need that removed as well.  It's hard to tell you about your anesthesia options without actually seeing you.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

To perfomrn Capsulectomy or not with implant explantation (removal)

+1

In cases of uncomplicated saline implant removal, I generally do not perform a capsulectomy unless intra-operaive findings suggest that this may be indicated.

Capsules do not need to be removed

+1

In the majority of cases the capsule around a saline implant does not need to be removed when the implant is removed.  It will be absorbed by the body.  This makes removal of saline implants a procedure which can be done under local anesthesia.  If the implants are very old and the capsule is calcified and hard, then I would recommend removal to prevent this from being felt after the implant is out.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Removing the breast capsule with breast implant removal

+1

It is usually not necessary to remove the breast capsule if there is minimal thickening and few symptoms.  It will atrophy with time if left intact.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Saline breast implant removal

+1

I certainly agree with your doctor that your old saline breast implants can be removed alone without need for the removal of the capsule itself. The deep space where the prosthesis were placed will reabsorb and this can certainly be done under local anesthesia. I would certainly not perform any sort of capsule removal under local anesthesia but this should not be necessary in your case.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Saline Breast Implants

+1

It is certainly not unreasonable to deflate saline implants and remove them under local anesthesia.  If your capsule is soft by exam it is very reasonable to leave the capsule and allow the body to absorb the capsule.  Removing a soft capsule should not be done under local anesthesia and only leads to unnecessary potential injury to the breasts.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast implant removal

+1

In my practice, When expalnting for any reason, the capsule is removed.

The capsule does NOT absorb all the time. Some times if they are left in they can accumolate ffuid, (I have see this in my practice).

Implant capsules should be sent for pathology to be examined , there had been some problems associated.

The capsulectomy can be time consuming and bloody, need to drain after capsulectomy.