Should I consider having saline implants removed at some point? Can they last forever, and/or should I expect them too?

I am currently a C cup and have had saline implants for 15 years. I have had 3 pregnancies, and been successful with breastfeeding. I train with weights 4 times per week and have no problems. I am 40 years old, have 22% bodyfat, and 5'5" 140 lbs. In pretty decent health, I would say.

Saline Breast Implants will not last forever

+1

The answer to this question is are you happy with your current breast implants.. Eventually all breast implants will deflate, but if you are happy with them you can wait until they deflate. The breast implants may last just one more year or 10 more years. The advantages of silicone breast implants is that they drape better and are usually more soft. Also silicone breast implants should last longer.

Best regards, Dr. Lane F. Smith (Smith Plastic Surgery Institute)

Can breast implants last forever, and/or should I expect them too?

+1

On the one hand, you should not expect the breast implants to “last forever”. On the other hand, if you are doing well and pleased with the appearance/size of the breasts, then I would suggest that you continue to enjoy the benefits associated with the breast implants.

Lifespan of saline implants

+1
Saline implants do not need to be removed for health reasons. They are guaranteed by their manufacturer for 10 years but in my book, if it aint broke, then don't fix it.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Life of implants

+1

There is never a need to switch out the implants if you are happy with the results. I would leave them alone unless you develop any problems. Now if you start to get pain or one starts to become hard if that happens I would suggest coming in for a free consultation to have them evaluated.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Should I consider having saline implants removed at some point? Can they last forever?

+1

There is no danger in a saline implant rupturing, so if you are happy with your implants and not having any problems, I would suggest leaving them in until one or both deflates. At that point it is easy to replace the implants with new ones. I have seen saline implants last over 30 years, and I have seen them deflate within 5 years, so there is no way of predicting how long yours will last. But implants should not be considered "lifetime" devices...at some point they will need replacement.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

No Need To Remove Saline Implants If There Are No Problems

+1

Thank you for your question. If you are happy with your saline breast implants, do not have capsular contraction, and have not suffered deflation of the saline implants then I see no reason to have them removed.

If however your tired of having breast implants removal of saline implants is a relatively straightforward simple procedure.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS