How Much Can Saline Implants Be Overfilled?

I had my saline breast implants replaced 6 months ago to 450cc's filled to 475 and 525. I am not pleased with the results. They are full on bottom but not on top. I was advised that I can have them refilled to 700 cc's or replace them again for a bigger size entirely. I know overfilling is not recommended my the manufacturer. However, I am seeking the big, round fake look as I had before as opposed to big and natural as they look now. The scars will be removed later along with moving down and minimize my nipples.

Change to high profile

+1
That look is best achieved with high profile implants filled to the upper end of their volume range.  It sounds like you have moderate profile implants, which are too wide and flat for the look you are trying to achieve.  I would not overfill a 450 to 700.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Overfill in Breast Implants

+1

The manufacturers of breast implants produce implants that have fill ranges which are designed to give surgeons latitude in the operating room. These implants allow adjustments in volume which can help deal with problems such as asymmetry. These guidelines generally allow implants to have an additional 15% of volume. Excessive overfill can result in device failure and resultant deflation. It would be inappropriate to inflate a 450cc implant to 700cc and this would probably result in implant failure.

Since you had your surgery six months ago, your result won’t change without further intervention. Your post-operative pictures suggest significant breast sag and this appears to be your primary problem. This is the origin of your lack of upper breast fullness. Correction of your breast sag represents the best solution to your current problem. With a breast lift you might not need new implants, but this could be accomplished easily in combination with breast lift if it were necessary.

It’s important that you discuss this issue with your surgeon, so an appropriate treatment plan can be formulated. If you still have concerns a second opinion may be necessary. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Stick with 10%.

+1
The manufacturer’s recommendation is not to overfill more than 10 percent. Some surgeons may choose to push this up to 20 percent or so, but nearly doubling the size isn’t a good idea. This would put a lot of strain on the implant shell, which it is just not designed to handle. Also, simply adding more volume is not going to position your breasts higher on your torso, which I think would help you better get the look you want. A breast lift combined with high profile implants in a larger volume than you currently have is probably the combination that will come closest to helping you reach your goal.

David N. Sayah, MD, FACS

Overfilling Breast Implants

+1
Saline implants have a range with which they can be filled. A minimum fill and a maximum fill which varies depending on the implant size.  You can safely overfill an implant above its maximum fill volume by 10 - 15 %. Beyond that, the risk of deformation of the implant edge is high resulting in the look of implant rippling.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+1

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

1. The photos suggest that your first breast implants stretched the skin.
  2. If so, it may be hard to get the fake look you want. 
  3. Excessive implant overfill shortens the life of the implant and can rupture it. 
  4. If you accept that risk, you and your surgeon may come up with a plan, e.g. trying excessive overfill and if the look is wrong, going to a bigger implant.
  5. But the bigger the breast implant, the more your skin eventually stretches. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Saline Implants Overfilled

+1

The company recommendation is not to overfill more than 15%. Surgeons tend to do no more than 10-12%. Do not consider more than 20%.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Overfilling saline implants

+1
Per Mentor Corporation, implants should not be overfilled by more than 15 percent more than the designated size. In theory, they could be filled more but this would void the warranty. It would be preferrable for you to replace the implants with a larger size, also taking into consideration the profile and shape which best fits your needs.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Overfilling saline breast implants

+1

Many plastic surgeons routinely overfill saline implants to about 10% of their labeled volume.  There is a range on each implant that the manufacturer has for that particular implant.  The actual fill is up to the surgeon trying to achive the goals that you set out upon to achieve.  In your case, there are a few variables at play  Achieving the significant upper pole fullness that you have in the first photo may be difficult, depending on your skin resilience, how much extra skin you may have, etc.  One would have to examine you to determine this.  Typically one would also remove and replace the implant if you are going significantly larger, again that is for your plastic surgeon to determine.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Overfilling of saline implants beyond the recommended range is not advised

+1

Hi there-

Based on your photos and the goal you describe, I would think your chances of achieving success are much higher with a new, larger implant.

However, my opinion is that the real problem with the shape of your breasts, and the reason you have not achieved the outcome you desire, is that your breast lift outcome could be a lot better.

Correcting your current breast outcome to the shape and size you want requires a higher level of understanding of breast surgery and implant dynamics...

If your current surgeon is not able to confidently provide you options for achieving your goals, I would recommend you find a surgeon with a great deal of experience and a reputation for excellence in breast surgery and visit for an opinion- these problems can become more difficult to correct after multiple procedures (not to mention that you would probably like to achieve your goal after as few operations as possible).

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Overfilling Your Implants

+1

Overfilling implants by up to 20 % is no problem and lowers the wrinkles and rippling that can occur if it's underfilled.

I once filled a 400cc implant to 2000cc in my office (not in a patient!) just to see what would happen. It became round, hard, and very tight !

If it's increased upper pole fullness you want, I would opt for raising the implant up higher in the breast to get rid of the "bottomed out" look, and using an implant shape that gives you the best projection. Just going bigger is a poor remedy.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS