7 Year Old Saline Implants Leaking. Will I Have to Have Another Lift As I Am Going to a Smaller Size?

Whether or not lift is required depends on how you look

+1

It is impossible to tell without physical examination or at least pictures to say whether you will need a lift or not after changing breast implants.  I would suggest getting a consultation with a plastic surgeon in your area who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons.

Is lift required with smaller implants?

+1
This is really a question for your board certified plastic surgeon who can examine the quality and elasticity of your skin envelope as well as knowing what size implants you have and wish to change to. All of these factors will influence the bet course of care to try to optimize your results.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Implant exchange.

+1

Rainy...

I presume you have already had a breast lift procedure. To truly answer your question, it would be necessary to examine you and to find out how much smaller you plan to go. If more skin tightening is needed, it is likely that it will be more of a revision than a totally new procedure.

William H. Gorman, MD

Is a Breat Lift Mandatory when going with a smaller implant?

+1

The best answer is : it depends.  Theprnding on the specifications of your present breast implants , your surgeon may be able to substitute smaller implants without generating a large amount of excess breat skin requiring a lift. 

Downsizing breast implant volume doesn't always require a lift

+1

RainydayinGeorgia: There are patient factors and implant factors, which can be "juggled" by an experienced "PS" to avoid mastopexy/lift scars.  Patient factors include how "tight" your skin envelope is, whether your skin will retract (shrink) with a smaller volume, where the nipple position is in relationship to the base of the breast, what your idealized breast shape, volume and nipple position is.  Implant factors include what type of implant was originally used, where was it placed, how the saline device "stretched" your breast envelope.  It may be possible for your PS to guide you to using either a moderate plus or high profile saline implant, which will accomodate the skin excess and also "close off" the space in which the implant resides (suture capsulorrhaphy), to provide you a great result.   Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Smaller implants and a lift

+1

Going with smaller implants may require you to have a lift if you were borderline to begin with.  An exam usually gives the answer.

Does going to a smaller size require a lift

+1

Thank you for your question.Simply going to a smaller size does NOT necessary mean that you have to have a lift.  This decision is determined by the condition of your breast after the smaller implant has been placed.  If the nipple has ptosis (ptosis is where the nipple is below the inframammary crease [that line formed where your breast meets the chest wall]) then you would need to have a breast lift.  Be sure to discuss this with your plastic surgeon and have all your questions answered before surgery.   

Donald M. Brown, MD

Another lift if going smaller, maybe not

+1

If you are going to replace your breast implants with a smaller size it might be beneficial to tighten the skin envelope, but lift is most often about nipple position and if the nipple is front and center over the implant and the size change not too great, implant exchange as a fiirst step may be your best option. You can always lift later on.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Breast Lift Needed When Going to Smaller Implants

+1

That's an important decision that needs to be made, ie is a lift required for good results when replacing breast implants with smaller ones. Unfortunaely for this site, such decisiions can't be made without a physical exam as well as knowing the size of the old and new implants. The bigger the difference between those, the more likely you might bneed a lift.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Replacing leaking implants

+1

The answer to your question depends largely on the physical exam.  I find that enhancing the breast tissue envelope is the most important part of the surgery after long term silicone implants with a leak.  by enhancing and bringing new cascularity to your breasts with fat grafting, a more beautiful result is obtained whether or not a lift is indicated.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD