How Long Does a Popped Implant Take to Deflate?

One of my saline implants has deflated and It will be a few months before I can afford a revision and am very uncomfortable with the difference in size. Especially since I live in the Florida Keys and spend a lot of time in a swimsuit which is impossible to wear now. If I have the intact implant popped, how long will it take to deflate?

Saline implant deflation

+3

IF you purposely punture an intact saline imlant it will spontaneously deflate quite rapidly, usually overnight. I would not recommend waiting on replacing a saline implant because after an implant has deflated, the normal capsule that surrounds all implants will begin to contract within weeks and will make revision more difficult  and achieving symmetry with your next surgery more difficult

Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Implant deflation

+2

Having the intact implant deflated will remove the fluid immediately (because it is aspirated into a syringe). However, before you do that, it is worth finding out whether the ruptured implant is under warranty. Depending on the manufacturer and when the implant was placed, you may be under a warranty for a replacement implant. In some cases, if the rupture occurs within 10 years, the implant manufacturer will even pay for a large part of the anesthesia/operating room/surgeon's fee. I recommend contacting your plastic surgeon to find out what you are eligible for as this may help you in making your decision.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Saline implant, implant leak, deflated implant

+2

A deflated saline implant if confirmed clinically indicates replacement at the earliest. Early intervention will allow replacement of implant in the same pocket with minimal surgical intervention. If left long the cavity may contract and will need capsulotomy to expand the cavity. However, it does not matter if the implants are required to place in a new pocket.

sanjay parashar

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Deflation rate

+2

A spontaneous deflation can happen rapidly (overnight) or slowly but one that is caused by intentionally popping the implant with a 18g needle should only take a day or 2.

Deflating Saline Implant

+1

If you successfully have the implant popped it will usually empty within the week with a noticeable difference right after.

Web reference: http://www.dr-youngforever.com

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Deflation of leaking saline implant

+1

The rate of delaflation depends on the size of the hole and the pressure on the breast and if the hole intermittently becomes sealed up against the capsule or by a little piece of fat.  See your plastic surgeon before you consider poking your intact side!! He/She can check out if your implants are under warrenty.  Also, if you want your intact side completely defated to match your other side, have your surgeon do the deflating!  Don't try it at home!

Saline breast implant deflation

+1

Deflation occurs in about 5% of patients with breast saline implants and can occur anytime after implantation. I recommend that it be changed for if you wait, then the cavity becomes contracted and will require more surgery to open it. The manufacturer does pay for part of the costs if happens within a 10year period and does give the patient a new implant for free for the patient's life. Watch my videos.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Intentionally deflating your intact implant will have quite immediate results.

+1

Intentionally deflating your intact implant by whatever technique will be effective relatively rapidly regardless of the technique. You should be able to achieve the desired result within a few days if not sooner. However, you specifically refer to popping the implant that suggests breaking the implant by applying manual pressure similar to a procedure used to break up scar tissue surrounding implants. If this is what you have in mind you would be better served by having the implant punctured and aspirated with a needle by your surgeon. This latter approach is more reliable and will be virtually instantaneous.

Deflated breast implant

+1

If the other implant is popped, as you said, it will probably deflate the same day. You might void the implant warranty so check with your surgeon first. Most US implants have a 10 year warranty and earlier deflation is covered which includes implant cost, OR, and anesthesia fees. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.drchaffoo.com/surgery/implant-options.cfm

Deflating Saline Breast Implant

+1

If the leak is sizable then the deflation is rather immediate.  If you have a smaller or slower leak then that depends on many factors to determine when the implant will eventually go flat.   This does cause any problems other a cosmetic problem from the obvious difference in breast size.

Dr. ES