Can I Have Saline Implants Deflated and Left in if I Can't Afford Removal?

My saline implants are 225 and under the muscle. I had lost a lot of weight due to stress from divorce, and was painfully insecure. It is 9 years later, I have gained weight, married, and they are getting too firm. If I cannot afford a removal and lift, can I just have them deflated so that my breasts are not so artificially firm? I am scared to hug anyone. I also want recommendations for Houston surgeons that understand my desire to be natural again.

Saline Implants Deflated and Left in

+1

The ASPS website is a good starting point for qualified board certified plastic surgeons in Houston. You can deflate and maintain the implants. However, you would be better off to consider removing them at some point as the deflated implants can feel very uncomfortable. Consult with 3 - 4 surgeons to understand your options before you make a decision prematurely.

Deflating Saline Breasts Implants?

+1

Yes, it is possible to have saline breast implants deflated and left in place (hopefully temporarily). Keep in mind, that if your  breast implants have encapsulated (thick scar tissue),  that you may still have some firmness present.

Hopefully when you  our psychosocially and financially stable you will be able to undergo definitive breast surgery ( breast lifting and/or augmentation)  by well experienced board certified plastic surgeons in your area.

When the time is right, it will be up to you to do your due diligence in the process of plastic surgeon selection. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery;  keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.

Do deflated implants need removal?

+1

No, if you have the implants deflated they do not have to be removed-but they may feel uncomfortable, and explantation is a fairly quick, easy, and less costly procedure so why not just remove them?

Ann F. Reilley, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon