Saline Implants 17 Years Ago Over Muscle? (photo)

I've had implants for over 17 years. saline, 300cc and 350cc. Last couple days I've noticed the right implant seems to be misshapen I'm pretty sure something has happened to this right implant although my breast hasn't gone flat .

Change in Breast Shape with Implants

+2

Although it is hard to evaluate you from the pictures, it does appear, at least on 2 of the pictures, that there is a difference in the size of the breasts. Usually with a ruptured saline breast implant, all of the saline leaks out and there is a dramatic difference in the two breasts. Occasionally, with a small, pinpoint hole, only a small amount of saline leaks and there is not as much change. You need to be seen by a plastic surgeon familiar with breast implant revision to determine what the problem is. If you wind up having the implants revised, I would suggest a concomitant breast lift to give you the best result.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

It looks like you need some pocket reconstruction

+2

With a saline implant, if it leaks, it will go flat within a few days. The problem is probably related to displacement of the implants as the tissue surrounding the pocket has stretched out over the years. I would recommend reconstructing the pocket and using acellular dermal matrix grafts to reinforce the pocket to keep the implants it a better position. I would also recommend repositioning the implants underneath the muscle. These tend to stay perkier longer. I would also recommend changing out these implants for either new saline implants or silicone implants

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Changing shape of 17 year old saline breast implants

+2

A change in shape of saline breast implants is usually due to either deflation or capsular contracture.  A sudden change in shape after 17 years would be more suggestive of deflation.  When saline implants fail, it tends to be with a small leak and a gradual loss of volume.  I would recommend consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons, who will review your history, perform a physical exam and will then be able to discuss your implant status and options.

Good luck.

Craig S. Rock, MD

More than adequate volume

+1

Your photographs show the right breast implant has leaked and deflated.  However, your photograph from a year ago shows your breasts are quite large and the areolas are pointing downward.  Since your implants are over 17 years old, you have probably undergone some weight gain which increased the volume of your breasts.  I recommend you consider removal of the implants and simultaneous lift.  There is a new procedure that can be done through a circumareola incision avoiding the ugly vertical scars (lollipop or boat anchor).  This allows removal of your implants, reshaping your breast tissue and elevating your breast higher on the chest wall.  This technique transfers the weight of the breast to the underlying muscle to produce long term stability.  I do not recommend replacing implants since your volume is more than adequate and implants droop in time.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Change in shape of implant

+1

If your implant has changed in shape, it is most likely from a rupture. You should be seen by a doctor to be properly evaluated.

Change in Breast Shape

+1

I agree with what the other doctors have said.  A sudden change in shape or size, especially on one side, suggests a deflation or leak.  A saline implant can lose all it's filling in a few days.

A more gradual change in shape can be anything from the normal aging process, weight changes, or scar tissue formation around the implant. 

A visit with a a plastic surgeon should help sort things out.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Breast implants saline

+1

You may have a deflation and an exam will be needed to determine this. You may also have some capsular contraction which is more common with implants above the muscle. See a few plastic surgeons for their opinions and good luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon