Saline Implants 16 Years Ago. Do They Need to Be Removed?

I had a breast reduction and had small crescent saline implanted. I have gained lot of weight since then. They seem hard and moved to the sides which is uncomfortable. Do they need to be removed?

Revision Breast Surgery?

+1

Because you are describing symptoms such as pain and implant displacement, it sounds like you would benefit from revisionary surgery.  The exact procedure that would be best for you would depend on your goals.  If you think you would be happy with the size without a breast implant, you can choose to remove the implants and not replace them.  If you like the size, you could remove the current implants and replace them with new ones.

Visit with well experienced plastic surgeons to discuss all of your options.

Not medically necessary, however-

+1

Discomfort may be a good reason to remove/replace breast implants. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Breast Implants Not Meant to Last Forever

+1

It is only a matter of time that your saline implants will spontaneously rupture after 15 years.That fact and because they are uncomfortable I would suggest you have them removed whether or not you wish to have them replaced.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

+1

You don't have to.......but...if they hurt and are hard, then I would. You'll really like the difference in how it feels with brand new implants in....No more uncomfortable hugging !

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant issues

+1

If your implants are hard and painful, then it sounds like you have a capsular contracture, and you may want them removed.

Removal

+1

In our practice we say if its not broken don't fix it. Your complaining of being uncomfortable and that they have moved to the side? if that bothers you, then that would be a good reason to remove them. You have options not just having them removed, you can get the surgeon to fix the issue. You can also get a second opinion.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Do the implants need to be removed

+1

The choice is yours. If the implants are uncomfortable, then you can remove them.  If you prefer not to have surgery, then you can leave them in.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Old saline implants - remove or replace ?

+1

It sounds like you might have some degree of scarring around the implants - this is not a dangerous problem, simply makes the implants firm, displaces them, can cause pain. If this bothers you, then I'd recommend removing the implants. No harm in keeping them in place, however.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

16 year old saline implants, do they need to be removed?

+1

They do not need to be removed if they do not bother you. If you want to avoid an operation, you can ask your surgeon to deflate them percutaneously (stick a needle through the skin and aspirate the saline out). Leaving the shells will not cause any harm, and as you say that you gained significant weight, you will not feel them.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Your breast implants don't "need" to be removed

+1

Your saline implants are basically harmless to you but if their feel, size, or position is no longer working for you, it is fine to get them out.  But leaving them in is not dangerous.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS