Saline Implant Size Advice

I am 29 years old, 5'8'', 136 pounds, size 34B. I am going for 450 cc saline implants under the muscle. Will this size would be too big for me and might give an unnatural look? Would reducing the size to 400CC make a whole lot of difference in appearance? My surgery is only a week away so all quick responses are really appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Implant Selection

+1

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy to determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's and body proportions than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Implants size/volume needs to be individualized to the patient

+1

Based on your measurements, that size may work well for you. However, the implant size/volume really needs to be individualized to the patient, which requires a full examination prior to deciding. There are other issues at play, such as tissue quality and thickness as well. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Volume is not the primary consideration

+1

If you review the styles of saline implants available to you with your surgeon, you will see that a 450cc. implant comes in many styles (widths and height/projection). Conversely, an implant of the same width can come in different volumes. The volume is only a check of the relative size increase that you might obtain after you analyze the breast from a dimensioanl point of view. The implant chosen is determined by what anatomy you begin with and what you want to look like in the end. The easist way to determine this, with your surgeon's assistance, of course, is to measure the width of your native breast. The most natural look will use the lowest projection implant style that is no wider than the width of your breast. For example, if your breast is 11 cm. wide, any round implant narrower than 11 cm. of low profile will fit your breast the best. You also have to check the position of the nipple relative to the inframammary fold to see if the implant will fit the vertical height of the breast. In general, you want the nipple to be positioned approximately at the equator of the implant when it is in the body. If it is lower, the nipple might point down. If it is too high, the nipple will point up.

This implant deterined by width and profile will be of a certain volume. That volume and the profile model can be usd to estimate the amount of enlargement and look that will result. If it seems too small, you can ungrade the implant by increasing the width or increasing the profile model depending on whether you need more cleavage, more superior fullenss, the constraints of best fit caused by the vertical eight of the breast or the position of the nipple, or desire more forward projection. In the end, this analysis will determine the style and volume of the implant. In summary, you don't choose the volume to cause a certain result. Instead, the volume is the result of the choices you make to achieve a certain look.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Good size for you

+1

Guddan,

At your height and weight with a B cup breast 400cc should give you a nice large C or small D cup breast.  A 450cc implant would likely push you up to a D cup for sure.  A large C or small D can easily be carried naturally  by someone with your frame.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Sounds fine to me

+1

I mainly use McGhann/Inamed implants.  Given your dimensions, a 420 or 450 cc moderate profile round implant should be just fine.  Of course, it depends on your goals, and physical findings.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Trust your doctor

+1

There's no way that any of us who have never met you can weigh in on this without causing potential confusion and getting in the way of the relationship between you and your chosen doctor. Ask him/her again and express all of your concerns. There is a slight difference between 400 and 450 but less noticeable the taller you are and the broader your frame.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Difficult to say.

+1

Breast implant choice preoperatively is one of the anxiety provoking decision in breast augmentation. Being 5'8" the difference between a 400 and 450cc implant shouldn't be too much, but much depends on how much native breast tissue you have to begin.

I have found the Purlz breast sizing system to be very helpful in this situation. It allows you to wear "implants" during daily routine and determine which size fits your preference best. You can investigate this option at www.lwgatz.com. I do not have any financial interest in this company, but find it very helpful to take the guessing out of implant size.

Good luck.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon