Saline Implant Rupture After Mammogram, What Should I Do?

I feel that my saline implant is smaller and that happened a little while after my mammogram. I was given more than the normal amount of xrays due to the fact I am a breast cancer survivor.

Saline implant rupture?

+1

Please visit with your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.  If indeed your saline implant is ruptured, then you will need to have the implant replaced. Best of luck.

Implant Rupture After Mammogram

+1

Dear Artlover,

If you suspect that you are experiencing an implant failure, please consult with your plastic surgeon for an examination and recommendation of treatment. The amount of radiation you received during you mammogram will not effect your implant's integrity.  While there are documented cases of implant failure associated with a mammogram, they are rare given the modifications mammography centers use when imaging breasts with implants.

Please contact your plastic surgeon and set up a consultation in the near future.  Best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Deflation

+1

The best thing to do right now is contact the surgeon that placed your implants to determine if in fact you have a deflation.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Saline implant rupture after mammogram

+1

Implants are ususally not at risk with mammogram and additional views are performed rather than compression views. The mammographer should always be made aware of implants. If your saline implant has begun to leak it will need replacing.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Saline Breast Implant Rupture

+1

If there is any question about a breast implant rupture/deflationm, you should return immediately to your plastic surgeon and have it evaluated and replaced if necessary. All breast implants from either Allergan or Mentor have lifelong replacement warranties should they need to be replaced due to shell failure. If you are more than 10 years after surgery, you will get a new pair of implants but will be responsible for the surgery costs should it have been an original cosmetic procedure. Within 10 years from surgery, you will also get some money towards the surgery cost besides a new pair of implants. If your surgery was done through insurance for breast reconstruction, then a failed implant will also be covered as a reconstructive procedure.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Saline Implant Rupture after Mammogram

+1

Although it is very unusual for saline implants to rupture during a Mammogram, it is certainly possible.  The first step would be to contact a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation and examination.  Your surgeon would appreciate having the following information:  the manufacturer of the implants, size, and fill volume.  This information can be easily found on the implant cards given to you after your original surgery.  You will require require removal and replacement of the implant in the operating room. This is usually done through the same incision. 

Michael Zarrabi, MD

Saline implant rupture

+1

If your implnt has ruptured, then you should go back to your surgeon and have surgery to replace the deflated implant.  Good luck.

Saline Implant Rupture?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience  and the possible breast implant deflation.

The first step would be to visit with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon;  based on your history and physical examination a good diagnosis and treatment plan will be discussed.

If the breast implant deflation is confirmed,  then treatment options will be discussed;  these options will likely include removal/replacement of the breast implant. It other “adjustments” need to be made to either breasts,  this may be the time to do so.

The good news is,  that if removal/replacement is indicated,  recovery/ discomfort from this operation is usually minimal.

Saline implant rupture after a mammogram

+1

You will need to consult your plastic surgeon. If it is ruptured, it will have to be replaced.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon