Implant Ruptured - Why Didn't Saline Reabsorb?

i had my saline implant removed and replaced today-the saline had not reabsorbed. why? The implant was quite deflated and had been for some time. The valve WAS poking up and irritating the tissue. The implant was slouched down in the base of the boob area, however, it did not look deflated at all and the surgeon found unabsorbed saline in the cavity. The 1st time this happened (other side-1yr.ago)the boob deflated in 1 day. Also, cld the unabsorbed saline hv stressed my renal system both times? I've nvr had this type of bladder/kidney symptoms before or since. I know it's strange.

Rupture implant

+1

You are correct in wondering why the saline was not resorbed. Usually when a saline implant ruptures, the body absorbs the saline.  Maybe you had an inflammatory situation within the capsule that developed a seroma of sorts?

Sounds like a seroma, not necessarily unabsorbed saline solution.

+1

Although they are quite rare, slow leaks of saline implants do occur and it is usually around the fill valve. What the patients experience is a slow deflation of the device. As a device deflates, the slowly leaking saline will absorb into the surrounding tissues. However, when the device deflates it also allows the surrounding capsule to shrink down. This activity can actually cause seroma fluid to accummulate within the breast capsule. That may have been what occurred in your case.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Leaky Saline Implant Valves

+1

It sounds like you may have a faulty valve that produced a slow leak instead of a rupture.  It is unlikely that the saline has stressed your renal system.  This system is made for handling salts and maintaining good mineral balance.  The saline in implants does represent a "high" salt load so the kidneys would handle the leaking saline very easily.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Persistent fluid following rupture of a saline implant

+1

I have seen saline remain in an implant and only leak when the implant is compressed. Generally any saline outside the implant but inside the capsule tends to get resolved unless there is inflammation. The inflammation can have many different causes including infection.  

Confusion about the Saline Leaking from a Breast Implant

+1

Regarding: "Implant Ruptured - Why Didn't Saline Reabsorb?
i had my saline implant removed and replaced today-the saline had not reabsorbed. why? The implant was quite deflated and had been for some time. The valve WAS poking up and irritating the tissue. The implant was slouched down in the base of the boob area, however, it did not look deflated at all and the surgeon found unabsorbed saline in the cavity. The 1st time this happened (other side-1yr.ago)the boob deflated in 1 day. Also, cld the unabsorbed saline hv stressed my renal system both times? I've nvr had this type of bladder/kidney symptoms before or since. I know it's strange
."

Strange indeed.

As a rule, saline in the tissue always absorbs. If it didn't and the body lost its ability to remove extra fluid outside our cells, we would all be walking around with permanent bruises and no surgical swelling would ever resolve. The only thing I could guess is that your surgeon operated on a partially deflated saline implant - one that had not finished deflating.

As for "unabsorbed saline hv stressed my renal system " - that is EXTREMELY unlikely. The amount of saline in breast implants is a only a few cups of water. Unless your kidneys are not functioning at all (and you require daily dialysis) and you are in heart failure,  in which case drinking a few cups of water could push you into heart failure, there is no way the volume of water in the implants could "stress" anything. I would bet you have another underlying issue with bladder infections that should be looked at.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Saline implant leaks can produce fluid collections

+1

Every implant (of any type) is surrounded by a capsule. Typically, when a saline implant leaks within a capsule, there is some resorption of the saline. In your case, it sounds like the saline resorption was minimal, and you were left with a fluid collection (a seroma). I don't think there is a good explanation for this phenomenon, except to say that fluid collections reabsorb at varying rates. No big deal. 

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS