Saline Implant Removal Via Local?

HI - I am planning to have my saline implants removed - the PS says he can do under local. With that he also plans to do a partial mastopexy and remove breast tissue so that I can be back to a size B. My question: will doing this with local be ok?

Saline Implant Removal Via Local?

+1

This may be appropriate depending upon the nature and type of procedures performed.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast implant removals, breast augmentation revisions, and breast augmentations each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Implant Removal with Local

+1

I would not perform removal of an implant under just local anesthesia.  Typically with removal of an implant the capsule is removed and this would be difficult with straight local.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast implant removal

+1

Thanks for the question.  It is hard to answer your question without having a better sense of how much of a reduction and uplift are planned.  That being said, I am always amazed by how much surgery can be done with straight local anesthesia in a suitable patient.  Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Breast Surgery under Local Anesthetic - Twilight

+1

Thank you for your question. It is now common practice to perform selected cosmetic procedures under local anesthetic, usually with some degree of sedation. I have been performing primary breast augmentations, partial mastopexies, liposuctions, blepharoplasties and lower facelift under twilight for many years with a very high degree of satisfaction. Case selection is essential.

Therefore I assume that your plastic surgeon, as he has offered to operate on you under local anesthetic, must have a similar experience and must be very confident.

All the best.

Andrea Marando

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Office-Based Procedures in Plastic Surgery

+1

There has been a growing trend to performing more and more procedures under local anesthetic in the office-based setting. This allows for a quicker patient recovery with decreased costs on behalf of both the surgeon and the patient. In general, procedures that involve a small anatomical area with limited surgical dissection are amenable to procedures under local anesthetic alone. Often, an oral sedative (benzodiazepine), can be given prior to the procedure to alleviate anxiety. When the operative procedure involves deeper dissection (e.g. under the pectoralis muscle) or a larger area (deeper into the breast gland) intravenous sedation or general anesthesia is required. Additionally, of critical importance in determining whether or not a procedure can be performed under local anesthesia is patient comfort. If there is any apprehension on behalf of the patient, deeper sedation in an accredited ambulatory surgical facility is required. This entails detailed monitoring of vital signs, and the full support of an anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist.

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon