Worried That Saline Implant Has Deflated/ruptured. Will It Effect Breast Feeding?

Trying to get pregnant and breast feeding is very important to me. What should I do?

Ruptured Saline Implant - no problem with breast feeding

There is no problem breast feeding with a ruptured saline implant to you or your baby. The saline is absorbed as it is just salt water. An Ultrasound test will usually tell if this is the case. If so, speak with your Plastic Surgeon re: best timing for removal when you are all finished with breast feeding. 

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Breast Implant Leakage and Breast-feeding?

It may be in your best interests to have your breasts implants evaluated and treated ( for example removed and replaced  if there is a leakage)  prior to becoming pregnant. If this treatment is not possible,  you should have peace of mind that breast-feeding will not necessarily be affected  if a breast implant has leaked.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Implant deflation and pregnancy

Implants should not impact breast feeding. With a rupture you should have this treated before thinking of getting pregnant.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Breastfeeding And Saline Implant Deflation

If a patient has a saline implant that they suspect is deflating, or even a silicone gel implant that there is a suspected rupture in, this should not interfere with breastfeeding in any way.  The saline is just absorbed into the body through the natural scar pocket, whereas any siliconee will just stay in the scar pocket and not get into the breast tissue at all.  Either way, there is no chnage in the ability to breastfeed or the composition of the breast milk.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

1602 Colonial Parkway
Inverness, IL 60067