Saline Direct Injection 700 CCs to Breast to Stretch Tissue During Fat Graft Consult, is This Safe?

Hi, I recently went in for a fat graft to breast consult and was told my tissue was too tight and that I could stretch the tissue with a saline injection. I agreed, knowing saline is a safe substance, and was shortly injected with 350 ccs of saline to each breast (700ccs total). The dr did it himself, there are 3 puncture marks on each breast, sterile needles and local anesthesia was used. By the evening, all the saline had been reabsorbed by my body. Are there any dangers to this?

+2

Never heard of this option before. Either use the Brava or have serial fat grafting surgeries. I agree with the use of Dr Del Vecchio in Boston, see what he says. 

Saline injections into breasts

+1
Injecting saline directly into breasts is safe but very temporary.  The saline will be quickly absorbed by your body, and any stretching obtained will also quickly resettle.  Using the Brava system, you can obtained better prestretching of your breasts.  Some women have too small and too tight of tissue for fat transfer.  Just because it can be shoved there does not mean it should be.  You may be one who will need a series of fat grafting, or best treated with breast implants.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

700 CCs to Breast to Stretch Tissue During Fat Graft Consult

+1

Yes, it is safe.  Whether or not it is effective is a different question.

In the growing field of breast enlargement via fat injections, the question of adequate excess skin as become an issue.  This is also an issue with breast implants but you can usually put in at least a small implant and expect that it will remain as a small enlargement.  With fat injections, though, tight skin appears to lead to faster resorption of that fat.

As such, expanding the skin prior to the fat injections is appropriate and has proved beneficial.  There are different ways to do this but many surgeons use a vacuum bra set-up (such as the Brava system) to "pull" the skin out and allow enough room for the fat to be inserted under minimal tension.  That approach is probably preferable to direct saline injections, and mostly for the reason you cite - it just doesn't last long enough.  It is most likely not, however, harmful.  And, as always, there are many different ways to do things, and very few absolutes.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Saline Injection to Breast

+1

Based on what you describe, this should not hurt you or your breasts. Many surgeons do a similar thing when they injection tumescent fluid during a breast reduction.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting to the Breasts

+1

Hello SamyOrien,

If you are considering this procedure, you should have it performed by Dr. DelVecchio in Boston.  He is one of the leading scientists and professor at Harvard involved in this newly evolving technique.  He utilizes a 'vacuum bra' to stretch the tissues out.  Regardless, this is a very involved process requiring a lot of time on your part to be down and not fully functioning.  Fat grafting is difficult to quantify and unreliable, in the best of hands.  Breast augmentation utilizing breast implants is reliable, quantifiable, effective, and most importantly safe.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Saline injections and stretching the skin

+1

This can only give you an idead of what you may look like with the additional volume. Sicne the water absorbs so qucikly, I doubt that it would have an substantial long term effects.

Saline injections to stretch breast

+1

I can't imagine that this is legit. Be very cautious. The saline is going to be absorbed very quickly and will not be able to "stretch" the breast to accept the fat. Before fat fat grafting, most women have to wear an external Brava device to expand their breast tissue. There is also a limit to how much fat can be successfully placed into the breast at one time. Do your homework before proceeding.

Ronald Schuster, MD