Saline Breast Implants 14 Years Ago?

I had saline breast implants put in 14 years ago, I have had no problems. This past year I have been sick over, and over and over, not even clearing up with several antibiotics. My breast have remained unchanged and I believe they are not leaking. I have body pain, headaches, sinus problems, throat problems, and fevers and horrible night sweats. No one is able to help me and I am worried that the breast implants are making me sick, is this possible and what do I do if they are?

Saline implants and sickness

+1
If you believe that the saline implants you have are making you sick, then I recommend you have them removed. To date, scientific research has not found evidence that saline implants can make women sick. They have been thoroughly researched and tested.

However, you can check if you have another sickeness that is unrelated to your implants.

Saline Breast Implants

+1

The symptoms you are experiencing are not related to your implants. I would recommend you get further evaluated as to the cause. Your symptoms sound severe and warrant attention.

Michael Horn, MD

Unusal symptoms and breast implants

+1

I understand you are looking for a cause of your symptoms. It is highly unlikely that asymptomatic implants have anything to do with your symptoms. Howevere if you are so concerned that it is effecting your psyche it is not unreasonable to have the implants removed. But you must be ready to accept no improvement if your implants are removed.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Illness and old implants

+1

It is highly unlikely that your implants are causing your problems unless you think that your implants are infected.  It is best to get examined by your doctor and get a proper evaluation.

This is NOT due to your breast implants!

+1

If you had these symptoms without having had breast implants, what would you (or your doctors) be "blaming" as a possible cause?

Truly, I understand your frustration, as it appears that you have seen one of more physicians without a diagnosis or treatment plan that might help you, but just because your doctors have been stymied doesn't mean your implants are at "fault," even if one of your doctors may have suggested it!

Remember, it was supposed to be silicone that was the "problem" for which the FDA mandated use of SALINE implants 20 years ago. And that's what you have! Science over the past decades has shown about as conclusively as possible that implants (saline AND silicone) do NOT have any cause and effect relationship with any kind of auto-immune illness or disease.

I'd look at other unusual causes: Fungus in your walls? Environmental exposures? Chronic sinus infections? Etc.

But to "blame" your asymptomatic implants is as much grasping at straws as trying to blame "alien abduction" for your problems. And equally as absurd.

Keep looking for causes as if your implants were not even present. Your answers will not be found by removing your asymptomatic implants--honest! Take care and best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Could the ource of Undiagnosed Multiple Symptoms be related to 14 year old Saline Breast Implants

+1

Im sorry to hear of your condition. There are NO absolutes in Medicine - No Always's, No Never's, No Best's etc. That is why Medicine is much more of an Art than a complete dry science.

COULD your hereto unsymptomatic saline implants be associated with SOME of your symptoms? Maybe but VERY unlikely. To pin all the symptoms on them would require a COMPLE AND THOROUGH work up by either a good Allergist, ENT surgeon or Infectious Disease doctor. Such symptoms may be associated with allergies, with certain lymphomas or other cancers and would certain infections.

I would strongly encourage you to look for a good physician to try and get to the bottom of it. It may save your life. Removing the implants may not solve anything and may delay the hunt for the real cause.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN