Mentor or McGhan Saline Breast Implant Replacement or Warranty Policy?

What is the manufacturers Mentor or McGhan's replacement/warranty policy of saline breast implants from the early 90's? I just had to have 1 removed on 6/9/09 (emergency) due to the implant breaking through the skin (swelling, rash, infection; never figured out what type, and implant broke through skin along with saline/pus). The surgeon told me she has never seen anything like it in her 25 years as a surgeon. I am not sure of the which of the 2 manufacturerer's my implants are from. However, I did get the hospital to give me the implant. Please advise.

Breast Implant Warranty

+1

In the event of a qualifying deflation of a saline filled breast implants or rupture of a silicone gel breast implant, they will replace the product free of charge (for the lifetime of the patient).  Regarding the financial assistance to return to the operating room to replace the implant  -The breast implant companies offer financial assistance within 10 years from the date of implantation.  The assistance includes $1200 stipend to help pay for  some of the anesthesia / operating room costs.  There is an enhanced warranty that will take the stipend amount to $2200 to also help with surgical fees.

Speak with your surgeon and the office should be able to file a claim with the company and give you more exact information.

Best Wishes!

Warranty coverage

+1

I would advise you to speak with the company representative for the implant you had, but this might not be a warranty issue. They usually cover rupture for 5-10 years meaning help cover the costs of surgery and provide a few implant. They variably (it seems) cover the implants for life. You need to file a claim and return the removed implant(s) to them. This is how we usually handle it in my office for patients who we operate for replacement.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Implant warranty usually covers implant deflation or rupture

+1

Of the two major implant manufacturers, warranties generally cover the complications of implant rupture or deflation and do not cover problems such as implatn exposure, extrusion or wound breakdown or dehisence.

In the event the implant was ruptured, the basic warranty would provide you with a complimentary replacement implant.

However, it would be best for you to contact your implanting surgeon who could provide with the implant manufacturer.

It depends on the warranty provided at the time of your surgery

+1

If the implant did not break, in spite of it coming through your skin, this is not a warranty issue. The warranty classically covers an implant that deflates. I would discuss it with your plastic surgeon.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Warranty for implants

+1

I am not aware of a warranty for infection.   The only warranty I know of is related to deflation of the implants.  You can also check with the manufacturers.

Any financial support has long since expired

+1

Your condition does sound quite severe.  In the early and mid 90's there was a fund that I believe was through Dow Medical that did provide funds for problems such as yours.  To my knowledge this has long since expired. 

You are likely on your own.

+1

I have been in practice for 16 years and have seen this 2 or three times at most.  It is strange, because it happens after years of uneventful service.  The manufacturers to my knowlege don't cover infections.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

I agree with your surgeon that this is an unusual situation

+1

It is very odd to have an implant erode 10 years after implantation without some type of trauma or systemic infection. As stated in previous posts, the manufacturers' warranty just covers deflation of the implant. Since this is not really an implant problem I doubt you would have coverage.

You should wait for several, maybe 6 months before replacing your implant to be sure the infection is cleared up. You probably lost some tissue during this process and there is the possibility that your breast won't match even after replacing the implant.

Good Luck!

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

The waranty is for deflation

+1

Both manufacturers have a life time replacement for implants that deflate due to loss of implant integrity. After ten years the companies will give you a replacement but there is no financial compensation after this time.The warranty covers deflation and not any of the other complication that can happen with implants.

It sounds like you would not be covered under the warranty. I hope all goes well with your very unusual situation.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Implant replacement policy is for deflation

+1

Your predicament sounds very unfortunate and is indeed very rare. In any case, it is not a situation that would be covered by the implant manufacturer, since those policies are for deflation of the implant. I hope things work out well for you.

Richard Baxter, MD