Saline Breast Implants, fill the right breast as well to achieve the best match?

I got Saline Breast Implants 6 months ago. My doctor did a good job. However, my left breast is slightly less full in projection as well as in width. He said it's so slight he recommented not to do anything. He is willing to fill the left breast with a little more saline. That will give me the projection, but it also it might narrow wideness. Can we fill the right breast as well to achieve the best match?

Better is the Enemy of Good!

+2

It sounds like your surgeon is offering you two good options.

It is reasonable to add a little  more volume to get better symmetry: it is a simple enough procedure, with few risks.

Of course, "few risks" does not mean "no risk!" It is possible that adding more fluid could make things different rather than truly better.  This is where trusting the good judgment of your plastic surgeon is important.

All women have breast asymmetry.  None of us is a perfect mirror image of ourselves!  It is normal to notice the minor asymmetries after surgery because our attention is drawn to the area and we are naturally critical of imperfections after a cosmetic procedure.

It is important to discuss with your surgeon whether a revision is reasonable or inordinately perfectionistic!

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Satisfaction after breast augmentation.

+2

Hi.

Of course, a minimal imperfection should be left alone.  But the only measure of success in breast augmentation is a happy patient.  If the visual result continues to bother you, why not revise it.  You may need a different implant and different pocket dissection.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Minor differences are normal

+2

Subtle differences between breasts are normal. The inframammary folds, the base width, the exact nipple height are diffferent for each pair of breasts.

Filling up implants again after they are inside will require a surgical procedure unless they are adjustable implants with the access port still in place.

It might be best to leave well enough alone.

+2

Sometimes after surgery we (patients and surgeons) start to become very picky - trying to get a "perfect" result. However, as I am sure you know, no person is perfectly symmetrical. In fact, perfect symmetry sometimes actually looks unnatural. Additionally, you might be getting more than you bargained for with revision surgery. If there is an obvious asymmetry or other problem, you should go ahead with the revision, but you will also have the added risks of an additional surgery. Once you start making modifications, you may be worse off than you started. Additionally, it is not as easy as "just put a bit more saline." It is another operation, another anesthesia, another risk for infection, another risk for healing problems, etc.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD

David Shafer, MD

Perfection

+1

No one can promise perfection and you really need to consider the potential risks of returning to the operating room for a breast revision.  Please know that almost everyone is a bit different between the two breasts and so when performing breast surgery, we plastic surgeons do our best to adjust for the breast asymmetry but I promise my patients that their breasts will be "sisters" not "twins".  If it is really bothering you then just make sure you understand the potential risks and complications with having the revisionary surgery performed.  If it really does not bother you too much, leave it alone.

Minor Asymmetry and Revision Surgery

+1

I would approach with caution.  If you are overall pleased with your result, I'd stick with it.  Remember, every and any surgical intevention carries risks - although very small.  Reopening your implant pocket does restart the healing process and opens the door to possible infection or initiating scar tissue around your implants.  Having said that, if this asymmetry is driving you nuts, then I'd recommend the revision procedure.   Its always a balancing of the risks and benefits.   But remember - there is always some very minor asymmetry between breasts.  Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

If you had a complication from a revision, you'd be misreable!

+1

If your breasts are fairly symmetric and you are fairly pleased with your result, enjoy it! If it bothers you so much and you are willing to accept the risks involved, then ponder a revision. Adding saline to a less projecting, narrower breast will make it even more narrow, despite "evening" out the projection. You may consider changing the left device so you do not have to alter the right side, adding potential complication there!

Remember, if you have a serious complication from such a minor revision, you'll regret it for sure...think real hard!!!!

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Be careful about reoperating on a good result to make it a little better.

+1

If your breasts are soft and close to symmetrical, I would leave things alone.  Reoperation reintroduces the risks of any operation and you could be sabotaging a good result.  Also, technically, the manufacturer voids the warranty on the implant if reoperation takes place and new implants are not placed.

Breast asymmetry after breast augmentation

+1

Both alternatives are reasonable in terms of acheiving breast symmetry.  Keep in mind that breast asymmetry is a common condition affecting upwards of 85% of women.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Perfect breast symmetry is not possible with breast implants

+1

All women have some degree of breast asymmetry, both in size and shape.  After breast augmentation, some patients may notice this subtle difference even more because of the increase in size.  Although your surgeon can attempt to correct the size difference by using two different volumes of implants, the final result may still have a slight asymmetry.  Going back in to perform a surgical revision by adding or removing volume does carry a small risk of capsular contracture (hardened scar tissue) which itself could lead to more surgery.

My opinion is to do nothing at this point.

However, you can always seek out a second opinion by a board certified plastic surgeon if you are uncertain.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD