Can Saline Breast Implants Be Rejected by the Body?

I have saline implants but i'm sick all the time. My breasts hurt and my head and hormones feel out of whack. I've had them for 3 years... Could my body be rejecting the saline implants?

Breast implants and rejection

+1

Breast implants are inert. As far as I know, they can not be "rejected" like a transplanted organ.  You should see your primary doctor to be evaluated for other causes of your symptoms.

If it makes you feel better, have the implants removed.

+1

The implants are not causing the problem. However, if it makes you feel better (psychologically) then have the implants removed. It is most likely a coincidence and it is convenient and understandable to blame your symptoms on the implants. However, studies have found no increased incidence with these symptoms in patient with and without implants. You should see a good internist that can help evaluate your symptoms. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Absolutely not

+1

Hi there-

I don't believe there is any likelihood that your implants are causing the problems you are experiencing- the only problem possible with saline implants is infection, and this is NOT a subtle problem that would go on for any time period. Rather, an infection involving an implant would progress rapidly, with high fevers, severe illness and incredible swelling and redness of the area within a day or two.

Saline implants are never "rejected", as your body does not react to them immunologically.

I think you need to see your family doctor or gynecologist for a thorough workup of your symptoms.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Your implants are not the problem

+1

I would agree with the other doctors that the implants are not the problem. Since the late 80's, significant research has been done related to breast implants and systemic disease. No study has found any relationship between the two. You should see your primary doctor for an evaluation. A headache with hormone imbalance is of great concern. The control of your hormones does not rest with your ovaries, it resides in the brain.

It is quite possible that your physician will recommend a CT scan or an MRI study to evaluate the glands within your brain. Removing your breast implants will have no effect on improving your symptoms.

Good luck with your evaluation.

David A. Dreyfuss, MD

No reports about breast implant rejection by the body

+1

There are no reports or anything to support the fact that the body can reject breast implants. through the years worldwide hundreds of thousands of woemn have devices in with no reported rejection. You should have a full work up done to check your breasts and overall health status to rule out other potential maladies.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

I assure you your implants are not causing your symptoms.

+1

Hi!   You need a good medical work up.  I have been studying breast implants for 20 years, and I can tell you that implants (saline or silicone) do not cause any diseases and that they are never rejected.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast implants do not trigger allergies

+1

There is absolutely no way that you could be allergic to saline implants. All the research done by manufacturers and the FDA have proven the safety of all silicone implants, whether saline or gel.  I would recommend seeing your primary care physician about these other problems.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

See your primary doctor for those symptoms

+1

Hello stanfill

There has never any solid evidence that links saline implants with systemic illness. You say you feel like your head hurts and your hormones are out of whack. I would recommend seeing your primary care physician for an evaluation. There are many reasons for headaches and hormonal imbalances but to my knowledge, breast implants are not the cause.

As far as pain in your breasts it would be helpful to know if it is pain related to your menstrual period, pain that is there all the time, or pain when touching the breasts. Are the implants soft? For the breast concerns I would recommend returning to your surgeon and explaining what your symptoms are. He/she can help answer those questions.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon