How Common Are Moldy Saline Breast Implants ?

I have been reading some scary stuff about saline implants lately that are making me very nervous about keeping them in. How common is it that the saline could get fungi/moldy or cause the implant to go black? Is this more likely to happen the longer they are in?

Also never seen moldy breast implants

+1

in view of all the responders who have already answered, clearly this is an extremely rare event. I too have never seen it happen, and have been in practice for twenty-one years. it is probably not reasonable to be very worried about this happening . hope all these answers will enable you to reduce your level of concern.

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Nearly 16 years

+1

I haven't seen it. I have thousands of cases under my belt, so I have seen a lot too.  I would not worry too much about the scary stuff you have read.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

This is rare

+1

I agree with Dr. Lentz - I too have been in practice over 30 years and saw this once and wrote a case report that was published in our journal - Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. To me, this is a non issue.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

I have never seen moldy breast implants

+1

I have been in practice for 22 years. There has never been a case of mine or anyone else's that I have treated that had a moldy saline implant. To guarantee that this does not happen, all your surgeon needs to do is fill the implant directly from a sterile IV bag of saline without contact to anything external.

I suppose in rare instances the IV bag could be contaminated before use but the chances are pretty slim.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

How often do we see moldy bresat implants?

+1

I have been in practice for 18 years and I have never seen mold in any saline implants.  I do between 100-150 implants per year so I am sure that this is rare.  I always use a closed system when doing saline implants.

Blane T. Shatkin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Moldy implants are extremely rare

+1

In 30 years of practice I have seen this only once. I usually do between 150=200 pair of implants per year so that is surely uncommon. Make sure your surgeon uses a closed system to fill your implants at the time of surgery so that it should not happen at all.  

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD