Saline Implants Replacement

Last night, I noticed my left Saline implant leaking and this moring it is half the size of my right one. I called my doctor and he told me to call on Monday for an appoinment. My question is, will he replace both of them even if just one is leaking? My reason for asking is because I have always wished I have gone bigger.

Yes you can should replace both

+1

Sorry to hear about the deflation. It sounds like you have a positive attitude about it. I think if you have been considering larger implants anyway, this may be a good time to have them both replaced. Look into the warranty situation of your implants as you may get a free replacement and possibly even additional money from the manufacturer for your replacement surgery. I discuss the current implant warranty programs on my blog if you are interested or you can look at the website of your implant manufacturer.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

You can replace one implant or both

+1

Dear SelinaLynn

How long have you had your implants? You have the option of just replacing the one implant or replacing both. The change in implant size would need to be discussed with your physician. Some implants are warranteed by the manufacturer and they may cover some of the cost of replacing the implants.

Wtih Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Replace both, and surgery should be done right away!

+1

Hi! The leaking implant should be replaced right away, because as the leaking implant gets smaller, the pocket gets smaller around it. And this happens from day to day. So I would not wait a week, because more surgery will then be necessary to enlarge the implant pocket.

If you want to be a little larger, now's the time, and I would operate on both breasts. Of course, it will cost you more.

I would also consider switching to silicone implants.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

I would definitely replace both implants with a size you prefer.

+1

Leaking implants are a real bummer but here is a good time to make lemonade when you are served lemons. Since you want to go bigger, go bigger now. Just remember that there are limits to the size your breast should be enlarged according to the base diameter of your breast and the diameter of the implants.

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Only necessary to change the leaking implant

+1

If it is just the leaky implant that you want to fix, your doctor will simply remove this implant and replace it with a new one. If you are thinking of going larger, then this would be a good opportunity to do so as you will already have to replace one side. Also, the leaky implant may be covered by warranty!

David Rankin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

It depends

+1

It sounds as though one of your implants is leaking and should be replaced. The manufacturers provided an implant warranty that your plastic surgeon's office should have discussed with you at the time of your surgery. You can most certainly have both implants replaced but the costs will depend upon your surgeon and whether or not you purchased the additional warranty through which the implant manufacturer may replace both. These questions will be best answered once you have you appointment today.

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Two separate questions...

+1

Hi there-

It sounds like you really have two questions:

1. Will replacement of both be covered by any warranty that may be in place?- As mentioned by my colleagues, this will depend on the manufacturer of your implants, so you will need to ask your surgeon when you visit.

2. Is it possible to replace both even though only one is leaking? ABSOLUTELY. In fact, I would recommend it- and not just because you would like to be larger, although this is certainly reason enough. The other reason is that your other implant (the one not currently leaking) is likely going to develop a problem between the time you replace the leaking one and the next time the new one placed needs to be replaced- if you are going to have surgery because of a deflation, it makes sense to get a fresh start on BOTH sides.

Look at it as an opportunity to get what you want.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

This is up for discussion.

+1

If you have Inamed (McGhan) inplants AND you purchased the platinum plus warranty, replacement of both will be covered. On the other hand, if your inplants are old (say >8 years) it is not unreasonable to go ahead and replace both. Finally, even if the other side isn't covered, now is a great oppotunity to go larger. Keep an open mind.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

He can replace both of them, but the warranty may not cover both

+1

Hello

You can always change implant size at the time of replacing a deflated implant. Each implant company has its own policy regarding replacement. Some may only cover the deflated size and have you pay for the opposite side if you are changing sizes. Others may allow you to change both sides. It all depends on your specific warranty.

Regardless of the warranty, if you have always wished for a bigger size, this is an opportunity to do so even if you have to pay something for the side that is not deflated. Discuss it carefully with your surgeon and best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon