Saline Breast Implants Leaking

I have saline implants placed 2002. Yesterday, I notice my left breast was soft and shrinking. Consequently, I also experience a post nasal drip of salt in my throat. The left is smaller and softer than my right. This A.M. I haven't experience any difference. What are all my options, could I exercise?

Leaking breast implant options

+2

Thanks for your question.

As the other physicians have mentioned the salty taste in your mouth and your saline implants are unrelated. There is no way for leaking saline to get to your nose or mouth. The saline is simply absorbed by the tissue around the implant pocket.

Implant ruptures should be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon. Usually, saline breast implants will not exhibit slow leaks but will leak like a ruptured balloon (very quickly). This will usually result in significant asymmetry. Silicone ruptures can be much more challenging to detect.

If your implant is leaking you may need to have the implant(s) removed or have the ruptured implant replaced. Implants that are ruptured that were placed in 2002 are likely still covered by the warranty. Be sure to contact your original plastic surgeon if you don't have the original paperwork. Warranties from Mentor or Allergan (the two largest breast implant manufacturers) usually last the lifetime of the implant.

It seems you have a deflating saline implant.

+2

It sounds as though your implant is deflating. It is not related to your post-nasal drip however. You should visit a board certified plastic surgeon to have this confirmed and discuss your options. You should be able to exercise; however, sometimes women will notice the implant 'poking' them and this may be uncomfortable.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Have your implants and breasts examined

+2

The salty taste in your mouth and your breast implants are unrelated. If your breasts are noticeable smaller and softer to the point of concern for you cosmetically, then you should check with your surgeon to see if the implants leaking is the cause. You can still exercise since a leaking saline implant is not a danger to your breast or health.

Basically, if your saline implants are not giving you the size and shape satisfaction you desire, then you might want to change them regardless of if they are in fact leaking. If they are leaking, they pose no danger and you can leave them in until you are ready to undergo a replacement or, if they still look acceptable (some saline implants only partially deflate), then you can wait until the breasts look unacceptable to you cosmetically.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

You might have a breast implant deflation

+2

You should visit a plastic surgeon soon and have the implants checked.  It sounds as though you have a left sided deflation happening.  It is not causing the nasal symptoms and you can certainly exercise until you find out what is going on.  A saline deflation is totally harmless to your health.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Saline implant leaking

+1
Saline-filled breast implant ruptures are detected by the loss of the breast’s size and shape. Following rupture a saline-filled implant will leak saline solution into the body over a period of several days. If you have larger implants, give it a couple of more days and watch to see if your breast decreases in size further. However, if you have smaller implants then the deflation may have already occurred. Please see your surgeon for a physical examination and discussion of replacement surgery, if you would like to have them replaced. You can still exercise. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Saline Implant Deflation

+1

Based on your history, it appears that your left breast implant has deflated. This is supported by the fact that the implant is smaller and softer than the opposite side. The salty taste in your mouth is probably unrelated.

In the majority of patients undergoing breast augmentation, implants last a lifetime. Occasionally, implants deflate and need to be replaced.

Current data suggests that implants deflate at a rate of one percent at one year and three percent at three years. Over time, this number can be expected to grow. Implants may deflate with no apparent cause or may deflate secondary to trauma.

When saline implants deflate, the diagnosis is relatively easy to make. These implants lose volume and flatten quickly.

Correction of this problem will require removal and replacement of your ruptured breast implant. Since its been ten years since your original procedure, the opposite implant should be replaced as well. It’s important that you consult your surgeon as soon as possible.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Possible ruptured saline filled implant

+1

If you develop a pin hole leak in a saline filled implant all of the saline will leak out over a 3 to 6 week period.  In this case the implant will need to be replaced.  

Saline Breast Implants Leaking

+1

Usually a saline breast implant leaks fully right away such as a deflated balloon. You will sometimes feel a burning sensation in the deflated breast. This deflation is not related to any taste sensation in your mouth. If you do suspect a leak you should go to your Plastic Surgeon and be examined to see if you need a replacement.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Breast implant deflation

+1

Based on the information you provided, it sounds as if you may have a deflation on the left side. I would recommend consulting with your plastic surgeon as soon as possible to examine you and discuss the best possible options for you. If a deflation is involved, revisionary surgery may be necessary to address the issue. Usually, the implant corporations provide a warranty for the implant if there is a malfunction or defect responsible for the deflation. Regarding exercise, the deflation will not affect your range of motion or physical activity. It will not cause you any harm or worsen the issue. Take care!

Leaking silicone implants do not cause remote problems and can be replaced at any time.

+1

Your nasopharyngeal are coincidental with the failure of the saline implant, not the result of it.  The saline implant will ultimately lose all of its volume so exercise is not contraindicated.  Replacement may done at your convenience.