Saline Breast Implants Incision Site for Best Result?

Which incision site do you think is the best to go with to get the best result with Saline breast implants: inframammary or periareolar?

Saline implants incision

+1

Those are my two preferred incisions, but I almost exclusively did periareola for saline unless the areola were really small. WIth gel I usualy go inframammary unless the areola are really large.

+1

In my practice, I tend to use periareolar and inframammary incisions equally, WHile the scar of the periareolar tends to be better, it is more visible due to is location. Concerns are raised about bacterial colonization due to transection of the ductal system

Most surgeons prefer either periareolar or inframammary

+1

good results are obtained in many different ways, so it is the skill of your surgeon more than the particular incision that is most important. patient preference is also part of the equation. you should discuss the different options with your surgeon at the time of consultation and together decide which incision to utilize for your particular situation.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear Trac

The incision type/location will depend on your surgeon's preference and the shape of your breast.  The saline implant is placed when empty and this allows the incision to be small and virtually undetectable no matter where it is placed.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Incision choice depends on anatomy and preference

+1

The choice of which incision to use depends on your anatomy and the preference of your plastic surgeon. If your areola is small it is difficult to place a silicone implant because they come pre-filled from the manufacturer.

Discuss your concerns and preferences with the plastic surgeon you chose to care for you.

Take care.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Trans axillary sub muscular is my favorite way to insert saline implants.

+1

While it takes a lot of experience to get routinely great results with trans axillary sub muscular saline breast implant augmentation mamoplasty, it gives the best results in my hands. The scars are essentially not visible in almost all cases. This avoids the scars on the breast and also lessens the chance of harding of the breast implant since the implant is not placed through the breast tissue but only behind the muscle and the breast. Make sure you find a plastic surgeon who has done a large number of the implants this way. Talk to some of the surgeons patients to confirm that the surgeon can do this well.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Breast Implant Incision Site

+1

Most plastic surgeons are willing to use either periareolar or inframammary incisions.  I personally allow patients to choose.  The main advantage of the periareolar is hiding the scar in an area where there is a color contrast.

John Whitt, MD

Best Incision depends on your breasts

+1

There are several options for placing an implant. I usally offer an incision either around the bottom of the areola or under the the bottom of the breast. Some patients will do better with on over the other. If there is a slight droop to the breast and a lift is a consideration, then I recommend placing the incision on the bottom of the areola.

Since any lifting procedure will require an incision around the entire areola, half of it is already there. If the breasts are fuller (b/c cups), then I usually recommend the incision at the bottom of the breast since thie incisionis better hidden and less breast tissue is issected. Most of the time the patient is a candidate for either incision, and we both agree on which to perform according to the patient's wishes and desires.

Michael Diaz, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

There is no best

+1

It is up to you and your doctor. I like circumareolar for most - but some patients and doctors like inframammary. Talk to your doctor and get educated.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

The optimal incision depends on how much breast tissue you have.

+1

Both approaches are good, however if you are very small and don't have very much droop to your breast, the periareolar approach is preferable because it will be better camouflaged between the colored portion of the areola and breast skin. On the other hand, the inframammary fold allow s excellent access for the surgeon, however the scars remain slightly pinker and more noticeable, longer.

Surgeons are quite opinionated over their preferred incision, several points are worth revisiting. 1) Sensibility of the nipples are conferred by the sensory nerves which originate from the spinal cord and wrap around the chest, running on the lower aspect of the ribs. A scar around the nipple will not automatically denervate the nipple and in many cases, increase the sensibility, during the healing process. 2) The contention that the areola is heavily colonized with bacteria, may be accurate, however surgical preps and antibiotics as well as good surgical technique should do a lot to neutralize this argument. In addition, many surgeons will cover the nipple with a sterile drape, in order to minimize the amount of bacteria innoculated into the pocket.

Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD