Is my Body Rejecting the Saline Breast Implants?

I just got saline implants with areola reduction march 6th. I’m still in a lot of pain. My breast softer from massage but still have heaviness on chest. 425cc. I feel like the saline is gushing out and going throughout armpits and brain. Is it normal to still have pain? On the scale of 1-10, I'm an 8.

My head is spinning; I had night sweats, my breast are warm. Is my body rejecting the implants? I have very good immune system. I'm 37 years old, never had flu, or pneumonia, and never catch colds. I feel like the saline is sloshing out and going to my brain.

Keep these questions coming to your doctor

+3

You are only 4 days postop! All of these questions should be directed to your plastic surgeon. They would want to be hearing from you! All of what you are describing sounds like potentially normal things. Pain, warmth around the implants, feeling like there is fluid around the implants are all common occurances. On the other hand, none of us can tell you that you don't have a problem like an infection. Go in for a check by your doctor tomorrow! You are not "rejecting" the implants however.

Breast implants and questions

+2

I have never heard of the body rejecting breast implants. Heaviness early post-op is normal, but if you have concerns you should call your doctor.

Communicate with your surgeon

+2

The first week is always a little difficult (with the first 3-4 days being the worst) but you should always call your surgeon's office and go in to be examined. If they say that you are not having any complications, then try to get through the first week or 2 of recovery by distracting yourself with a good book, movies, friends, etc.. Let yourself recover.

Should get better in a few days

+2

What you describe is not unusual. Everyone responds differently to surgery. For some, the pain can be significant for seven days before things start to feel better. I would certainly discuss it with your Plastic Surgeon. You are not having a rejection to the implants.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Call your Doctor

+2

What you are describing is unusual. Without more information it is hard to give you more specific information. You need to call your doctor and have them make sure you do not have an infection. Otherwise, just relax and let the healing process occur. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Call your doctor

+2

Since you are only a few days after surgery, a lot of the symptoms you are describing are common. Pain is common, but usually controlled by the medication prescribed. At this time, I would not worry about rejection of the implants or leaking of the saline. I would focus on making an appointment to see your surgeon. Let him/her examine you and give you better guidance. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Sounds like a common recovery experience so far- but call your surgeon

+1

Hi there-

Particularly if your implants were placed under your muscle, it is not unusual for patients to have significant discomfort 4 days after surgery. The sloshing you feel and hear is probably fluid used in surgery to wash the pocket before placing the implants, and will slowly be absorbed by your body over time.

Take your pain medicine and call your surgeon. You do need to be certain that you don't have a problem, and only your surgeon can make this assessment.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Calm down and see your surgeon!

+1

You need to see your surgeon and make sure everything is OK. There are no rejections of implants! You need to make sure there is no infection around the implants or somewhere else.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon