What Could Be Causing the Burning and Swelling Sensation on my Breasts?

I have 6 yr old saline implants. The past few days my right breast has been really sore. I am also having a burning sensation and swelling. What could be wrong?

I started birth control about 5 weeks ago. Any chance this could be from the change in my hormones or a possible leak?

Breast implants not causing swelling.

+1

Hi.

You need a good, thorough evaluation of your breasts, but your breast implants are not causing your burning sensation or the swelling. Possibly related to the hormones.

Breast burning

+1

The feeling of breast burning may be related to the Hormone therapy. It is unlikely related to the implants. If you are concerned, you should talk to your doctor.

Rule out hormonal causes

+1

A leak will be easily diagnosed by the sudden decrease in volume. A capsule forming could be another reason, but the main complaint will be firmness and maybe pain. I would rule out the hormonal causes first .

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

The coincidence is likely

+1

I have had patients that have called me years after breast augmentation about breast pain. The reality is that if you haven't had breast pain then you change something it is usually what you changed.

So I suspect it's the birth control acting on the breast tissue. This is a common side effect of birth control.

Perhaps a change to another BCP will help. See your OB/GYN not your PMD.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Your symptoms are not consistent with implant issues

+1

You should probably have your surgeon check you out, but the symptoms you describe are most likely not due to your implants. If you continue to have problems, however, make sure you follow up with your doctor. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Not your implants

+1

Hi there-

I agree with my colleague below... Your saline filled implants are composed of an inert (meaning it does not interact with your body and so should not cause any reaction whatsoever) silicone rubber shell, and the liquid saline inside it. Because saline solution comprises a very large portion of human beings, even if some of this solution leaked out (which you would be aware of), you would not experience the problems you are describing...

I would pay a visit to your surgeon, gynecologist, or family doctor.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Not a leak

+1

Leaks from saline implants do not cause pain or burning and you would notice a decrease in size or dimension of your breasts. It could very well have to do with your breast tissue themselves or hormone replacement therapy. Have your plastic surgeon and gynecologist check your breast for signs of mastitis.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD