Saline Breast Implant Removal with Local Anesthetic, Painful?

I've had 340cc saline breast implants under the muscle for ~4 years, they were placed through the armpit. My PS is going to remove them through same site under local anesthetic, but I am terrified. It is only a little more expensive to go to a hospital and undergo general anesthesia...but I know that has a greater recovery time and has more risks. Before I schedule my surgery I just wanted to ask for feedback re: this procedure. Also, he did not mention anything about capsulary removal? Thanks!

Removal Breast Implants With Capsule Under Muscle Requires General Anesthesia

+4

Thank you for your question. Most Plastic Surgeons would agree that the capsule should be removed as well as the implants. This would be difficult if not impossible to do through an axillary incision and capsule removal in particular is best done through an inframammary incision under the breast.

This is somewhat difficult time consuming surgery and I would not attempt under local anesthesia.

Saline breast implant removal

+2

Implants above the muscle can surely be removed using local anesthesia.  However, if your implants are under the muscle and any dissection is required or scar tissue needs to be addressed, I would not recommend that you have the surgery without at least intravenous sedation.The capsule should be removed.  General anesthesia and IV sedation are not the same and I would encourage you to explore both options with your surgeon prior to making a decision.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Saline breast implant removal

+2

Thank you for the question. The implants can be removed under local anesthesia. However, if more work needs to be done such as capsulectomy, then additional form of anesthesia is required.  You need to communicate your concern with your plastic surgeon. Intravenous or general anesthesia are safe and the recovery is quick.If you feel that is what you are comfortable with then have it done under sedation or general anesthetic.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Breast Augmentation, micro fat grafting to the breast, breast implants, #beauty #cosmeticsurgery

+2

Thank you for your question

Implants can be removed "comfortably" under LOCAL anesthetic.  It is not always necessary to remove the capsule- as it will resolve over time. 

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Implant removal under local

+2

I would suggest having them removed under at least sedation. Why should you be at all uncomfortable during the procedure?

Saline breast implant removal under local

+1

Saline breast implants can be easily removed under local anesthesia.   However, it would be wise to remove at least a portion of the capsule to allow it to heal properly.  There are risks if this is not done.  The capsule will not absorb if it is left in place.  A capsulectomy would be more comfortable under at least sedation anesthesia and will probably require a periareolar or inframammary fold incision.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Breast Implants under Local Anesthesia?

+1
Generally speaking, removing breast implants ( assuming no additional work is necessary on the breast implant capsules or skin) is well tolerated by most patients. However, based on your description of anxiety level (“terrified”) you may be better off having the breast implants removed with additional anesthesia on board. Discuss your concerns and anxiety level with your plastic surgeon to determine the best course of action for your individual case.

Saline Breast Implant Removal with Local Anesthetic,

+1

If breast implants are soft ,especially saline implants it is usually not necessary to remove the capsule

The procedure is more difficult through the axilla.It is easier to remove through the infra -mammary fold.Usually only a small incision is necessary

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

+1

I always recommend that the capsule around the breast implant be removed, since your implants are under the muscle, then the muscle should also be reattached to the chest wall. If the muscle is not reattached you can have a deformity of the breast.