Saline Breast Implant Life Span?

I have saline breast implants under the muscle. I know the life span for saline implants is 10-15yrs. I just hit the 10yr. anniversary. I am having no problems at all. Should I be pro active and have them replaced soon or do I wait till one deflates.

Wear your saline implants to the very end

+2

The beauty of the saline implant is that you can wear the implant with safety and confidence until the implant leaks and loses volume. There is no need to consider replacement at ten years like a silicone gel, and you may yet see your implants live on for 10 more years.

Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD

Saline breast implant lifespan

+1
Breast Implants are a man made product, they eventually wear out and leak. Just like cars do not last forever, planes fall out of the sky, trains fall off tracks, global warming the wourld is falling apart etc, etc. How long they can last is controversial; most manufacturers and plastic surgery societies say they should be changed every 10 years. I am not convinced this has to be done, being in practice over 12 years I have seen many patients with them longer and have not had any problems. If they are around 8-10 years and you have problems like capsular contracture, leaking etc then the should be changed, but if you like the way they look and feel I do not think you have to change them.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Only Need To Replace Breast Implants If Necessary

+1
Although some people believe that breast implants have a 10 year lifespan, this isn't actually true. You only need to replace them if you have a problem with them. If you experience pain or a change in appearance then you should see your surgeon or doctor to make sure they're still okay. Early detection is key here.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Implant life span

+1

It is a fallacy that implants have a specific life span.  If you are not having any issues with your implants, there is no need to replace them. You may enjoy them for many more years without problems.  Good luck!

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Breast implans

+1

Leave your saline implants alone until one ruptures. You will know when this happens as it will feel squishier and look a bit flatter in the upper part. There is no health risk to the salt water being absorbed by your tissues. At that point you may want to replace both so they are both the same age. Saline implants, especially those placed subpectorally, wrinkle less and can last quite long, even up to 18 or 20 years.

Simona V. Pautler, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Saline Breast Implant Life Span?

+1

I really is up to you but as I tell my patients, the most economical thing to do is wait until one goes flat!! In most cases, you will get one or both of the implants replaced at no charge and in my practice, I don't charge patients a surgeons fee to replace a deflated implant. I don't ever want cost to be a reason for a woman to walk around with a deflated implant!! But many women are proactive and don't want to wait until that fateful day!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Saline implants don't need replacement unless there is a problem.

+1

During the FDA restrictions on silicone gel implants between 1991 and 2006, I inserted over a thousand pairs of saline implants. Very few have leaked, and until or if they do, I agree with my colleagues who recommend no surgery for "preventive purposes."

It's important to realize that if one of your implants does develop a leak, it's usually a tiny pinhole that leaks drops of saline over time rather than deflating rapidly like a "popped" balloon. You would be hard-pressed to even identify a leak until a significant amount of the saline has been absorbed, and during this time your breast loses only a minimal amount of volume that very gradually becomes visible. Thus, no unhappy sudden surprises!

Of course, any sharp blow, vigorous squeeze (such as from an incorrect mammography technique), or other significant trauma could cause a sudden implant rupture and immediate deflation. Your body would simply absorb the saline and that side of your bra would need some temporary stuffing. I usually recommend switching to silicone gel implants when one saline implant leaks or ruptures, or if there is any other reason to re-operate (such as size change, malposition, or treatment of capsular contracture).

Otherwise, carry on and do not worry about your implants until such need arises! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Saline Breast Implants Exchange?

+1

No, there is no “automatic exchange date” for breast implants. Considering that you are “having no problems at all”, there is no indication for removal/replacement.

Continue to enjoy the results of your breast surgery.

Saline implant life expectancy

+1

I have seen saline breast implants last longer than 20 years intact.  Unless there is another reason you are desiring breast revision, I would not recommend an implant exchange prophylactically.  Thank you for the question!

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD