Last May I Had Saline BA and Since then Have Noticed my Hair Thinning.Is There a Link Bw Breast Implants and Hair Loss?

I had breast augmentation in May 2010, since then I have noticed my hair has been thinning significantly. Is there any link between breast implants (saline) and hair loss as a side effect? I am becoming extremely stressed as my hair was long and thick and now is limp and fine. Please help. Thank you.

Hair loss after saline augmentation

+4

Breast Augmentation with saline implants has not been reported to be associated with hair loss.  Several years ago when silicone implants were taken off the market they were thought to associated with collagen vascular disorders  and even chronic fatigue syndrome, but this was not the case and silicone implants were placed back on the market after years of research and thourough review by the FDA.  Bottom line is that there is no known association with hair loss or any type of systemic ailments with either saline or silicone implants.

Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation & Hair Loss

+2

I am unaware of any relationship between breast augmentation and hair loss and cannot conceive of any possible cause.  You mentioned that you are extremely stressed.  Stress can be associated with hair loss.  The only relationship would then be if you had a problem related to your BA which led to stress.  In either case, you should consult with a dermatologist regarding your alopecia.

John Whitt, MD

Breast augmentation and hairloss

+2

There is no study showing a correlation between breast implants and hair loss.  However, the stress of surgery is a possible source of your hairloss.  Telogen Effluvium, or the conversion of your hair from an active growth phase to the phase of shedding(telogen) can happen even 3 months after a stressor(i.e. surgery).   Once the stressor has subsided your hair growth should return, and it may take up to 6 weeks to see an improvement.  Follow up by your surgeon is recommended.

Ernesto Hayn, MD

Hair loss and implants

+1

There are many causes of hair loss or thinning and stress is one of them. I am unaware of any correlation between any kind of breast implants and hair loss. The best way to diagnose the cause of the problem with your hair would be to see a board certified dermatologist who can do a full history and physical examination,  appropriate work up and any indicated treatment. Good luck, I know change in your hair can be very upsetting.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

+1

All I can add is the stress of surgery might be the cause of your hair loss. Otherwise seek an appointment with a hair transplant surgeon. 

Breast implants, breast augmentation

+1
I am not aware of any correlation between hair loss and breast implants. You did mentioned you were stressed. Stress has been associated with hair loss. Have there been any other changes in your life since the breast augmentation

David L. Abramson, MD