Salicylic Acid Peel to Improve Acne?

I have been advised by a Doctor to do a 30% Salicylic Acid Peel to improve my acne condition. He even advised me to look at a video of the procedure online and information about the procedure online (internet).

What I am wondering is how much of these peels will I have to do and how many layers will be remove with a 30% salicylic acid peel?

Salicylic Acid Peel to Improve Acne?

+1

It is recommended to do a series of six peels, one every two weeks, then stop for three months.  You should then do another series followed by a good home care program.  The more layers of salicylic applied to the skin, the deeper the peel will be.

Sal acid peels and acne/scars

+1

Salicylic acid peels are great for acne and scaring- you will need a series of them however, as they are superficial in nature (do not remove alot of skin from the surface)- mostly the superficial keratin layer. This unclogs the pores to prevent more acne and flattens out acne scars.

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist

Salicylic Peels are an Excellent Choice for Acne Treatment

+1

Salicylic peels are an excellent choice for treatment of active acne, both reducing the acne breakouts themselves and the inflammation caused by the acne. Usually, a series of peels are required, staged  1-2 weeks apart, depending on your sensitivity. Common side effects are redness, flaking, tenderness, and sensitivity. Occasionally, you will experience what seems like more breakouts early on, as the pores free themselves of buildup. Maintenance acne treatment and sunscreen (non-comedogenic) are also an important part of your care. For acne scarring, deeper peels, laser, dermabrasion or excision may be required.

Karen Vaniver, MD

Salicylic acid peels are an excellent treatment for acne

+1

Salicylic acid peels are an excellent tool in the treatment of acne. They are especially helpful if one also has brown spot (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) as a result of acne. Salicylic acid peels can help clear the acne and blemishes quickly and can help your acne medications work more quickly. They can be repeated until you get the results you want. I use peels more to get quick results (3-6) and medications to maintain it.

Dina D. Strachan, MD