I am a 56 YO male. I am thinking about getting a deep plane facelift. Will it be 100% effective in getting rid of Jowls?

Faceluft and jowls

+1
Nothing is ever 100 percent, but it should give you considerable improvement.  I don't know what deep plane refers to in your situation. It means different things to different surgeons.  Concentrate on selection of an experienced surgeon who has a good reputation in your region.

A well executed deep plane facelift generally helps the jowls dramatically with a facelift.

+1
I'm not sure you can expect 100% improvement but generally the jowl region responds very well to a facelift. For a decent result is important that the suspense are ligaments along the angle of the jaw be completely released.

No cosmetic facial surgery is 100% effective.

+1
The answer is no.  The better how good a facelift  or neck lift you have done there will always be recurrent sagging and relaxing of the tissues.  There is no such thing is a 100% result.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Jowls

+1
As others have stated here, nothing in surgery is 100% effective or guaranteed.  Howver, you should see some significant improvement in general in the jowl area after a well performed facelift.  Hard to give percentages without seeing your pictures.  Good luck.

Jowls

+1
No one can make any guarantees that jowls, or for that matter any other part of your face, will be 100% corrected. Be careful of anyone who makes such claims.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Face lift for jowls

+1
Thank you for your face lift question.
  • A standard SMAS, not a deep plane, face lift should give you the improvement you want
  • But remember - little in life is 100% - you should see significant improvement
  • But your plastic surgeon can give you more specific advice after examining you. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Deep plane facelift and jowls.

+1
Deep plane facelifts were described specifically to improve the nasolabial folds and not the jowls.  Problems with this surgery include the fact that they are done in a deeper plane where injury to facial nerves can be an issue.  If jowls are your main concern, a traditional SMAS facelift may be safer and just as effective. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Effectiveness of facelift

+1
There are no guarantees in surgery, yet many types of facelift procedures are very effective in treating jowls. Have your face evaluated by a board certified surgeon who specializes in facelifts.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

100% improvement

+1
I think that nothing will give 100% improvement and certainly over time, tissues will settle.   I prefer in many cases to perform a SMAS facelift of varying types.

Facelift Expectations - #facelift

+1
When patients ask about 100% effectiveness, they are in effect asking for a guaranteed result.  I do not make promises that I cannot back up. There are just too many variables with any operation, especially a facelift.  Let's say you have the result you want.  One thing I can guarantee is that in weeks to months to years your 100% improvement will be gone.  Patients are most satisfied when they have realistic expectations and surgeons have more satisfied patients when they under promise and over deliver.

Mark D. Wigod, MD
Boise Plastic Surgeon