Why Does my Diastasis Recti Cause Me Intense Abdominal Pain? (photo)

Diastasis Recti and Pain

+1

The diastasis can be repaired with or without tummy tuck after other sources of pain are ruled out including hernia.

Pain

+1

You may have pain either from a hernia that needs to be repaired or due to the pressure caused by the diastasis

Pain from rectus diastasis

+1

Many women experience either pain or discomfort with a wide diastasis from pulling against the abdominal muscle.  Your surgeon should make sure you do not have a true hernia.  In either case,  repair of the rectus should improve your pain.

Diastasis Recti and Pain?

+1

I think my colleagues have advised you well;  it would be best for you to be seen in person by your primary care physician or internist.  Best not to assume that any symptoms you are experiencing are necessarily related to the diastasis recti.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

Diastasis Recti Typically Does Not Cause Pain

+1

It is atypical for diastasis recti to cause pain.  It is possible that you could have an undiagnosed ventral or umbilical hernia.  Alternatively, you could have some other intra-abdominal cause of pain.  I would recommend evaluation by a General Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon to evaluate your symptoms.  Best Wishes.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis is not a painful condition

+1

Diastasis is a natural separation of the sit up muscles and a relative loss of abdominal tone, and is not a true hernia. Such as it is, a diastasis is not painful, and you will have to see your physician and get a looking over for another source of the discomfort. Let's hope it isn't serious.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

Pain from Diastasis

+1

Diastasis Recti is the separation of the vertical abdominal muscles, called the Rectus Abdominis muscles. Pregnancy causes stretching of the abdominal muscles. Sometimes after delivery, the muscles do join back up in the center, leaving a vertical thin area of separation. This can sometimes be so thin that it allows your "insides" to bulge outward, especially when sitting up, or straining. This pressure can cause pain. Diastasis is different than a hernia, which is basically a hole through which your "insides" can actually push through the hole and get caught. This can sometimes become an emergency medical problem. You should see a doc just to be sure of which you have. 

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/html/tummytuck-procedure.html

Why Does my Diastasis Recti Cause Me Intense Abdominal Pain

+1

The first thing that comes to my mind is that you need to look for another cause of pain. Classically, diastasis has no symptoms. A hernia, if present could cause pain, as well as any number of gastrointestinal problems. Starting with an evaluation by your primary physician seems the best approach from which to start. From the photo you have attached, it appears that you would have a nice result from a  tummy tuck, which would include the correction of the diastasis.

Thank you for your question, and for the attached photo. Best wishes. 

Rectus diastasis is not usually painful

+1

In most all circumstances, a rectus diastasis is not painful.  You should see a general surgeon and ask if maybe you might have a hernia as these can sometimes be painful.  Other pathology inside the abdominal cavity should also be ruled out.  Good luck.