Is there any diagnosis that would allow my insurance to pay for excess skin removal?

Over the last few years, I have lost 107 lbs, causing quite a bit of excess skin (may be worse from 3 c-sections). I often find it hard to breathe from the skin pulling so hard when jogging or walking for a while. If I hold it up, I find I can breathe easier. The weight of the skin hanging also tends to bother an old hernia repair, making it achy if that makes sense. Are any of these conditions that would allow me to request my insurance to help pay for a procedure to remove the skin?

Insurance Coverage

Thank you for your question. In my experience, a body lift is never covered by insurance. If deemed medically necessary, some insurance companies will cover a panniculectomy on a case by case basis, but at no time an abdominoplasty or lower body lift. This is great question to ask your insurance company regarding your plan’s coverage. Good luck.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss skin

Some insurances are starting to cover postbariatric procedures, I this case a tummy tuck or lipectomy, you have to check with your insurance company.

Francisco Amaya, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon