How long should I wait between breast lift and breast augmentation surgeries?

I suffer from very asymmetric breasts ( one is a small C, the other a large D) Although two doctors have told me they could lift my larger breast and give me implants in one surgery, I truly think my preference would be to first reduce and lift my larger breast then later get implants. I'm afraid if I get implants before reducing my larger breasts, they will still be very different in shape and position. If I decided to take a two stage approach, how long would I have to wait between surgeries?

Time interval between breast lift and breast augmentation surgeries

+2
I would recommend a minimum of 3 months between the two procedures. There is nothing wrong with doing it in two stages. However, excellent results are achievable in a single procedure alone and you have the advantages of cost-effectiveness and only one episode of downtime.

London Plastic Surgeon

Time Between Surgeries

+2
You will get varying opinions.  I would recommend you wait at least 3 months between your breast lift  and your augmentation surgeries.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

How long to wait for Aug after lift

+2
I think any time after three months is a good time to evaluate your results and discuss an augmentation.  
By then the tissue envelope has matured enough and you can accurately assess your volume.

Charles R. Nathan, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Should I wait between breast lift and breast augmentation

+2
There is a diverging opinion about staging breast lift and breast augmentation. Many can give an excellent result in a single procedure and If you are committed to an implant on the smaller side we might agree. However there is nothing wrong in correcting the skin envelope and reducing the larger side alone, and perhaps you might change your mind about having implants. If you reduce and lift first, we would suggest a wait of six months to allow the scar to soften and mature and the new breast shape to become stable.

Lifts and augmentations of the breasts are nicely separated by 4 months

+2
After 25+ years of doing this and after countless lifts and augmentations, I have backed off to doing them separately if a full lift is needed. That's because the implants stretch you and the lifts tighten you so these can be conflicting in terms of optimal healing. Actually I think the final results look better and the risks are fewer.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

+2
It is good you are giving this a lot of thought. In this country it seems that opinions are split about evenly whether or not to do the procedure in 2 stages. My personal preference to get the best results, is to do the lift first and the augment 3 months later.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+1
   Either approach is acceptable, and I would ask your surgeon about the time between as it will be based in part on your healing.

Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift(TM)

+1
Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs. However, if one breast is a large D, why would you want to reduce it then add an implant? Instead, I recommend a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM. Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Through the same incision, implants can be placed. Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant. Small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it. Your best alternative is augmentation of the smaller breast and lifting both breasts, not reducing the larger one and later augmenting it.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

+1
At least 3 months is a reasonable time to wait between such procedures, to take into account swelling and settling of your breast.   Your decision is a very reasonable one, and arguably, can produce more symmetric size and shape.  However, such a procedure may also be performed safely and well in one stage - also giving the benefit of a single procedure, single recovery, and cost savings...just some things to consider.  I would discuss the various options with a plastic surgeon to assist you in your decision.  Hope that this helps!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

+1
Thank you for the question. Absolutely nothing wrong with staging the procedures if you and your chosen plastic surgeon feel that the outcome will be better and less complication prone. In my practice, I usually wait 3 to 6 months before proceeding with the 2nd stage procedure.  Best wishes.