Fat Transfer for Correction After Mastectomies. Recovery Time?

I had prophylactic bilateral mastectomies with tissue expanders in August. Exchange to silicon implants in December. My plastic surgeon suggested fat transfer from my outer thighs to correct some creases and step off on top of the breast. He will do both thighs to keep symmetry. I was wondering about the recovery for this type of surgery. I am due to go on vacation one month after surgery. Will I need compression garments? Bruising? Thank you!

Fat grafting

+1
This procedure has become very common place.  I do several a week on Fridays and my patients go back to normal activities on Monday.  If they need compression it is only for a week or two.

Fat grafting is a valuable tool in breast surgery. This technique has gained more popularity over the past 7 years. There are many techniques used to harvest the fat, process the fat and then re-inject the fat. Conventional suction lipectomy is performed with a small diameter cannula, processed by separating the liquid and fibrous tissue from the fat, and then placed into syringes for re-injection or through a closed system.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Fat transfer recovery time

+1

Yes fat grafting can be safely done after lumpectomy and radiation. It should be done in small increments and allow enough time (at least 4 months). The blood supply is the key to successful fat grafting. Expect you thighs to be a bit swelled for at least 3 months and garments for 6 weeks.

Recovery from fat transfer breast reconstruction is quick.

+1

Hi.

1)  This is often very helpful.  The right technique is crucial to harvest the fat, purify it, and then inject it in multiple tiny amounts with a very thin blunt-tipped cannula.

2)  Women go back to work in about four days, and exercise in two weeks.  Garments not needed.