Non-surgical Facelift vs Neck Lift for 51 Year Old Women?

I'm a fair skinned 51 y/o redhead, and I need my jowls/neck lifted. Due to my thin skin and tendency to scar easily (scars from 20 y/o tubal and 10 y/o breast reduction still keloid/red), I'm looking into a "non surgical face/neck lift". Do I have any other options that wouldn't involve scars in front of my ears? How much would it cost? If the results last typically 2 years, can it be repeated later, or once done, that's it? Thank you!

Non-surgical neck lift

+2

A non-surgical neck lift does not exist.  There are some skin tightening lasers that may gie about a 20% improvement to the skin but do not produce a neckl ift.

Nonsurgical Neck & Face Options

+1

There’s a large number of non-surgical procedures that are available for the treatment of facial aging.  Unfortunately none of these procedures effectively treats facial aging when skin sag is present.  For this reason, surgical intervention is usually required when significant facial aging is present.

Without a physical exam or pictures, it’s hard to know what procedure is best for you.  Since you have jowls and redundant neck skin you will probably require a facelift combination neck lift procedure. Under these circumstances, incisions will be placed in front of the ear, behind the ear and beneath the chin.

Although, you have a history of scarring following other procedures, facial incisions tend to heal nicely.  In addition the location of the incisions makes them hard to see. For these reasons, adverse scarring is unusual following facelift and neck lift procedures.

Non-surgical procedures are usually not effective for treating facial skin sag.  For this reason, your options are limited and you will probably require surgical intervention.  It’s therefore important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area.  This surgeon should be able to help formulate an appropriate treatment plan. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Nonsurgical facelift versus neck left or 51-year-old woman

+1
 There are 3 components to the aging process in the neck that must be addressed to fully rejuvenate the neck. These are loose facial and neck skin, fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle and looseness of the platysmal muscle itself. There is no non-surgical treatments that can address all 3 components.  When the jowls need to be lifted in addition to the neck work described above, then a lower face and neck lift will need to be performed. For many examples, please see the link below to our facelift photo gallery

Non surgical face lift

+1

I don't believe any of the non surgical lifts work long term. Most incisions in the front of the ear heal very well so don't be afraid of a face lift. 

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Non Surgical Facelift or Neck Lift Options

+1

There are many non surgical modalities that are marketed as non surgical Facelift or Neck Lift.

In a word, they disappoint. The best results achieve only a 20% tightening. In my experience patients have to look carefully at before and after photos to see any improvement.

Read the link below for an honest appraisal on non surgical skin tightening.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Non-surgical facelift for a bad scar-er?

+1

facelift scars are not like breast scars. also get those red scars treated, they need some TLC, simple kenalog injections should do the trick. the preauricular incision in fair people is a low scar risk, even in you.  I promise, I haven't ever had to revise a preauricular scar. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

A Non-Surgical Facelift is Like a Non-Driving Car: It Doesn't Work

+1

In Facial Plastic Surgery, I have one piece of advice: beware of gimmicks. When a patient wants to have significant changes in the neck and jowls, there is only one option that works. That option is a skillfully performed Facelift. Some minor benefit may be achieved with Thermage and skin tightening treatments, but a significant result is unlikely. Likewise, a quickly performed "branded lift" as seen on infomercials is likely to leave you a few thousand dollars poorer and unhappy with your results. Read this website and research your options carefully.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck and jowls are harder to treat without some type of surgery

+1

There are many different lasers out there that are tightening skin without large incisions. These, I think, are still in the experimental phase but some really believe in this mode of non surgical face and neck lift. The results are usually subtle, and require more than one treatment for better results.A traditional neck lift is the best way to pull up the jowls and neck laxity. Other options include fat injections in the face to volumize the face to pull the jowls and some of the neck laxity away. Fat injections in the face can do wonders to make one look younger and are a great option to avoid long incisions that you are worried about.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Look for credibility and results of non-surgical facelift

+1

In a short note, a surgical face and neck lift will not be replaced by a non-surgical procedure any time soon.

Options to consider include:

- Laser-like "skin tightening" - i.e. Thermage etc. Look through this website for thoughts and experiences. I don't do it and only see the disappointed patient for a facelift

- Volume enhancement: Can improve the appearance of jowls but not the neck. Best for cheek and lower eyelid improvement. In the lower face, I use it as an ancillary procedure in conjunction with facelift.

- Midface lift: performed through incisions within the hair (and maybe inside the mouth). Limited jawline improvement.

- Everything else (serums, acupuncture, facelift without incisions, etc.) are unproven or "miracle" options.

You could have a skin test done (tiny incision) to see how you heal before your facelift. The face heals very different from the body and chances are, that you would heal just fine after meticulously performed facelift.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

See a plastic surgeon who is a facelift specialist.

+1

I'm asked this question often by patients with body scars that are bad. I have never had a patient have a keloid from a facelift. I have seen this only when the skin is stretched too tight. We make the incision inside the ear so you don't have an obvious scar in front. Thus, you will get the best result from this surgery because the excess skin will be removed. A "non- surgical" facelift fills or peels wrinkles but does not remove skin. The cost varies depending on whether someone needs only a mini-lift or a full facelift, from $7500-15,000. Remember you get what you pay for and the cost of repairing bad work is far greater than good work in the first place.