Lift for Sagging Back Skin?

I am pretty thin, never had any weight problem and never had any plastic surgery on my body. However, I have sagging skin on both sides of my middle back. I can even pull it up to under my arms. It is only skin without fat. Is there a type of lift for that? It really bothers me a lot. Thank you for your help.

Bra Line Back Lift procedure

+3

Thank you for the question.  Significant excess skin can only be tightened by removing it with a surgical procedure.  For breast laxity there is breast lift, for the abdomen there is an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), and for the back there is the Bra Line Back lift procedure.  Significant skin and soft tissue laxity of the upper and middle back are best corrected by a bra line back lift procedure.  The final incision line is in the horizontal part of your bra strap and therefore hidden.  The procedure actually has a very high patient satisfaction rate as it can fully correct the problem and recovery is often very straight forward.  The procedure was first published about 5 years ago by myself and Dr. Hunstad.  The link below is a before and after photo set from one of my patients.

Dr Remus Repta

Sagging upper back skin

+2

The upper back skin has a tendency to sag following massive weight loss, but it can also sag with age in thin patients like yourself. There are lifts designed to improve upper back contour, but each type of lift involves a scar on your body. If you don't have much extra skin, the scar can be somewhat small. The upper back lift removes this extra skin while attempting to hide the scar within the bra line. There are different variations of this, and the pattern of excision and length of the scar depends on how much skin needs to be removed. Loose upper back skin can also be removed or tightened through a scar that runs along both sides of the body. This is called a lateral thoracoabdominoplasty, and is generally used when you have a lot of excess skin in the horizontal dimension, such as that seen after massive weight loss. I recommend consulting with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and seeing what your options are. Good luck!

Anita Patel, MD

Lift for Sagging Back Skin?

+1
Yes.  You can look to get an upper body lift.  Go and see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a complete History and Physical exam and to get recommendations for the best procedure for you.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Correcting Sagging Back Skin

+1

The only way to correct sagging back skin is to do a semi-circular back lift which will obviously leave you with scars, but will improve shape and contour.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Lift for sagging skin

+1

A body lift can truly change your life. Excess abdominal fat  and skin is removed, the abdomen and your core is tightened, your saddlebags on your hips are raised and your buttock has new definition and shape.  The combination is powerful and the results are immediate. The real answer to your question is in the exam. If you have excess kin circumferentialy then a body lift is theanswer. If not than a tummy tuck may do the trick The most important thing is safety. Please don't compromise on this! See a board certified plastic surgeon

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Lift for Sagging Back Skin?

+1

It sounds like you have mostly excess skin and not too much fat. Because there is not much fat, I would not suggest liposuction. Since you mentioned excess skin, therefore, a skin excision needs to be done. There are two types of back lifts  that I would suggest. One incision follows a bra strap line. Usually, this  incision can be hidden under a one-piece bathing suit or even a dress with a very low cut back. The incision is placed horizontally across  the back Typically, you would bring a bra or the top of your bikini to the preop consultation for your board-certified plastic surgeon would determine where the incision and resulting scar should be placed. The scar usually fades very well with time. Another incision pattern that can be made is a vertical backlift or vertical torsoplasty. This surgery is performed by making an incision from the armpits to the lower bra strap line. If you have love handles or excess of skin on the lower back, the incision can be extended from the armpit to the hipbone. This scar also fades over time. The benefit of this pattern of incision and resulting scar is that when your arms are down by your sides, the  scar is hidden. Also, this incision would avoid entirely a scar across your back. Good luck with your surgery. Please find a board-certified plastic surgeon with a significant amount of experience in upper body lifts and back lifts. Good luck. Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Lift for Sagging Back Skin?

+1

There is a remedy for your situation and it is called an upper back lift.  This procedure is done with the scar hidden under your bra strap.  The procedure will remove excess redundant skin of your back and can be extended around the lateral sides to get rid of the lateral excess of skin.  It heals nicely and the recovery is not difficult.  Look for a board certified Plastic Surgeon who is familiar with this procedure and go for a consultation.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Excess skin on back

+1

From your description, it sounds like a upper back lift could be an option for you. The best way to know for sure is to visit with an experiences plastic surgeon for advice.

The tradeoff for this type of surgery would be the appearance of scars as a tradeoff for the better contour of the back and this should be something you are comfortable with.

Best Wishes!

Lifts for Excess Back Skin

+1

There are a variety of approaches to deal with overhanging or excess skin of the back.  "Zones of adherence" is a term for constricting bands where skin is attached to the underlyingh structures.  Sometimes a release of tethering in these zones with a liposuction cannula can improve the appearance of skin excess.  Lifts can be positioned in different ways to camaflauge scars, but the exact location would require planning with you to discuss your preferences.  A lift in the upper back can place a scar beneath the bra.  A lower back lift can place the scar on the upper buttocks.  Sometimes skin excess is taken from the lateral chest wall to tighten adjoining areas but hide the scar.  There are many alternatives but the best choice is the one personalized for you.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Lift for Sagging Back Skin

+1

You sound like a perfect candidate for an upper back lift. The procedure was designed to accomplish exactly what you are asking about and is very effective. The scar is usually hidden in the back across the bra line. Obviously, you will need a consultation with a surgeon who is familar with this procedure who can guide you in your decision.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD