Sagging Skin After Weight-loss at 21. Is a Facelift my Only Option? (photo)

I’m 21 and I’ve been overweight most of my life. I’ve recently dropped 55 lbs over the course of a year. (180, now 125 at 5’2”) I’ve noticed sagging or loose skin and I’m definitely concerned about my face. The sagging became noticeable when my face started slimming about 5 months ago. Should I lose more and my face will firm? Should I look into a facelift or are there other non-surgical ways? Does my skin just need more time and/or a specific care regimen? Facial exercises? Glycolic Peels?

Facelift after Weight Loss

+2

Losing significant amounts of weight can remove some of the support of the skin in any area.  With rapid weight loss, there may be some later redistribution of fat as well.  It is always better to wait until your weight is stable for a prolonged period before addressing skin laxity.  In a young, healthy individual, it is rare to need to perform a facelift.  With time, there will be some recoil of the skin previously stretched out.  Enjoy your new healthy personna.  If in six months you remain interested in an appearance change, seek a board certified plastic surgeon to help evaluate what might be the safest avenue.

Springfield Plastic Surgeon

Facelift following weight loss

+2

After extensive weight loss, it is important to wait over a year to allow the skin to naturally tighten before any decisions are made. Skin retraction is more likely in younger people and those with thicker skin. Once a stable state is reached, a decision can be made regarding appropriate treatment. In someone young, several alternatives to facelift may be available such as Ulthera, SmartLipo, and laser or chemical peel. In older patients, a facelift and neck lift is frequently necessary.

Drnikolov.com

Nicholas Nikolov, MD

Wait until stable weight

+1
Congratulations on your weight loss!

I suggest you wait until you've reached a stable weight  before considering a facelift. Because you are still young, there is a good chance the skin on your face will firm up again as long as you lead a healthy lifestyle. For now you may want to consider nonsurgical skin tightening treatments such as laser skin tightening and fillers. These are less invasive and may be a better option considering your age. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Facial Sagging After Weight Loss

+1

Depending on the shape and contour, if you have true facial sagging and skin atrophy, you may need to have a modified facelift even at a young age. This requires the expertise of a facial rejuvenation expert with expertise in massive weight loss and facial recontouring.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Facelift after Massive Weight Loss at 21

+1

From the photo, I would not recommend a facelift.  However, fillers or fat grafting to restore some of the volume or help with the tear trough may be appropriate.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs thousands of procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Facial aging in the young

+1

i dont think people in their twenties should be considering facelifts

but there are other procedures that make sense

young patients with premature aging can consider

blepharoplasties, browlifts, fat grafting, fraxil, fillers

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Sagging skin after weight loss - need fat grafting

+1

You are a great candidate for facial grafting.  At age 21 you should not need a face lift.  Find a surgeon with experience in fat grafting - good luck!

Sam Naficy, MD

Give your skin time to adjust and Consider Facial Volumizers

+1

It is difficult to imagine that you would be a candidate for a facelift or other surgical methods at your age. Once you have reached your goal weight, allow your skin some time to adjust.  Start a medical grade skin care regimine in the meantime to help your skin snap back into shape.  Also, drink lots of water to stay hydrated.  Quite possibly you may want to consider Scupltra or another injectable filler to add volume to your cheeks to give you a more youthful, rested look.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

An In Office Evaluation is Required

+1

Patients really need to be evaluated in person or at least in pictures before deciding upon procedures.  Degree of droopiness and skin quality are very important determining factors.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Methods to try before resorting to a face lift

+1

A facelift is probably not necessary at the age of 21. You should get to your desired weight and then wait a few months to see how your skin adjusts. From there you should start with injectable fillers such as:

• Sculptra
  • Juvederm
  • possibly injections of your own body fat.

A facelift would be a last resort for a 21-year-old and if necessary I would consider a mini-facelift such as the Lite Lift ™.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS