Sagging Skin After Weight-loss at 21. Is a Facelift my Only Option? (photo)

I’m 21 and I’ve been overweight most of my life. I’ve recently dropped 55 lbs over the course of a year. (180, now 125 at 5’2”) I’ve noticed sagging or loose skin and I’m definitely concerned about my face. The sagging became noticeable when my face started slimming about 5 months ago. Should I lose more and my face will firm? Should I look into a facelift or are there other non-surgical ways? Does my skin just need more time and/or a specific care regimen? Facial exercises? Glycolic Peels?

Facelift after Weight Loss

Losing significant amounts of weight can remove some of the support of the skin in any area.  With rapid weight loss, there may be some later redistribution of fat as well.  It is always better to wait until your weight is stable for a prolonged period before addressing skin laxity.  In a young, healthy individual, it is rare to need to perform a facelift.  With time, there will be some recoil of the skin previously stretched out.  Enjoy your new healthy personna.  If in six months you remain interested in an appearance change, seek a board certified plastic surgeon to help evaluate what might be the safest avenue.

Springfield Plastic Surgeon