Sagging After Cheek Augmentation by Fat Grafting?

Cheek augmentation using fat grafting. Long term risk for cheek sagging? Supposing one has fat grafting for cheek augmentation. If and when the fat is absorbed by the body, will the cheeks sag? Will they look like bags?

Cheek Implants, Cheek Augmentation

+4

I don't believe that fat transfer has a high enough level of reliability to make it a good choice for facial shaping. Fat does absorb, shift and create scarring all of which can and does cause deformities instead of the typical contours of an aesthetic, attractive cheek. Cheek Implants or reliable fillers like Radiesse and Perlane are better options. Fat absorption would more likely result in increase asymmetry than sagging. I perfomed hundreds of fat transfer procedures between 1989-91 which gave me good sample size with which to base my opinion.

Micro Fat Grafting

+3

Dear Gabriela, Fat grafting is excellent for facial contouring. The fat will remian where it is placed and give long term results. The fat can grow with weight gain and decrease with weight loss. As long as the fat is placed properly then there should not be any sagging of the cheeks.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Cheeks not expected to sag after fat grafting

+1

If fat grafting is used for check augmentation, it will not create any sagging in the cheek. Any fat that is absorbed by the body will be absorbed in the first six to eight weeks after the surgery but will not make the cheeks sag.

It Depends on Your Skin

+1

If your skin has little tone and the fat grafting is used to fill the void of diminished subcutaneous fat then once the fat is gone the skin will return to its previous state. If you have good tone then as the fat is absorbed the skin will slowly tighten. But hopefully only a small amount of fat will be absorbed and it won't be an issue.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon