Will I Have Sagging Breasts After Explantation?

I went from a 34B to a 34D. My implants are under the muscle and saline. My weight has gone down slightly, from 130-120lbs, I am 5'8", and 28 yrs old. My breasts were very perky to begin with, so I am hoping that when I remove the implants, I won't have too much sagging. What do you think? Should I just put something smaller in? I really don't want any implants at all, but if I will have a lot of sagging, I will be willing to do it. Thank you.

The facts about implant removal

+2

There are several issues to consider when you are contemplating implant removal. Some of these issues are subjective and some are physical changes.

Subjective:

- By now you have probably grown accustomed to your new size. Once the implants are removed, the size of your breasts will likely "seem" very small.

Objective:

- During the time that the implants were in your body, they were pressing on your breast tissue. This can cause a small degree of loss of breast tissue making the original breasts slightly smaller than they were prior to your implant surgery.

- Depending on the size of the implants, your breast skin may have stretched leading to some noticeable sagging of the breasts once the implants are removed. This is usually only a problem with very large implants.

- Natural breast never have the upper pole fullness that is routinely observed with breast implants. Therefore, the upper part of your breasts will appear flatter than it does with implants.

Once the implants are removed, the breasts should "feel" exactly like they did before your implant surgery. However, they may "seem" and "look" slightly different than before your implant surgery.

Good luck with your surgery.

Difficult to predict

+2

It is difficult to predict whether or not your breasts will sag after the procedure, and in these cases, the options for preventing the sag including replacing the implants with smaller ones and/or performing a breast lift, either at the time that your larger implants are removed or as a seperate procedure. You will need to sit down and speak with your plastic surgeon about all of your options and together design a plan that works best for you. In short, however, it will be very difficult to say with certainty that you will not have any sag after the implants are removed.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

You will not have significant sagging after explantation.

+2

To msq,

Hi! Based on your description, definitely no sagging. You re young and your tissues are very elastic and will snap back. Also you were perky before. Some other thoughts:

1) The real question is why explantation? In my practice, this so rare. You might be very happy with a revision using smaller implants. Be sure you are doing the right thing. Get another opinion.

2) If you have a tiny bit of sagging when the implants are removed, you can have an internal (scarless) lift at the same time.

3) If you have your implants removed, the capsules (implant linings) need to be curetted (scraped) and you need to have suction drains in for a week. Otherwise, there is a high possibility of liquid collections (seromas) in the breasts.

Do well!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast implant explantation

+1

It is difficult to predict what the breasts will look like after removing implants.  Putting a small implant back may be a good idea.

Breast explantation cases vary

+1

These cases vary but younger patients tend to get away without lift surgery and/or implant replacement more often than older ones do. What does your surgeon say? Is he or she recommending replacement and/or a lift?

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to predict breast sagging after explantation

+1

Its difficult to say what the breasts will look like. If you went from a B to a D, then, maybe. If you don't want implants then why not remove them and wait till you see what the final shape is. You can then make an informed decision.

Michael Weinberg, MD

Chances are you will do fine

+1

Implants that are under the muscle tend to protect the breast skin from a lot of stretching. If you have not had any pregnancies over this time period and only 10- pounds of weight loss you will probably do very well.

One option to consider is to deflate the implants and see what happens since you are going to change them one way or the other. Once they are completely deflated you will get a good idea as to what your final appearance will be. This way you will be able to make a knowledgeable decision on your own.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Hard to predict

+1

It is very hard to predict without examining you or seeing pictures. However, just based on common sense, if you are removing volume (the implant) from the breast, then the remaining skin and tissue will have less support and may sag. This is something you really need to consider before having surgery.

David Shafer, MD

No prediction possible

+1

Based on the information you give, no one can really give you an accurate prediction of what will happen of if you will be happy. Sagging can occur in different manners and what you will accept or not tolerate for your breasts may or may not correlate with the different types of sagging. You can only ask yourself if you prefer no implant to no sagging. If you can tolerate a little sagging and value the fact of not having implants to worry about, you might be fine with removing them. However, if you value having perky, youthful breasts with no sagging over the presence of an implant, you might be better of downsizing, You have to ask yourself why you are dissatisfied with your current situation. Does it have mainly to do with the way your breasts look or the fact that you have a foreign body in you? One possibility, if you know you definitely want to either downsize or remove the implant and can not tolerate the current situation, is to have your surgeon deflate the implant under local in the office. Once they are deflated, you can decide if that look is okay or you would be happier with a smaller implant.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Confused

+1

MSQ,

You didn't mention why you don't want implants at all or how long they have been in. Have they served their purpose? Do you have complications? If they have been in for many years then your breast tissue is certainly compressed and your breast skin is certainly stretched, two factors that will add to sagging. Your weight loss of ten pounds will also contribute to breast sagging if a proportion of your breast is fat. Consult with your board certified plastic surgeon for a more comprehensive discussion of your needs and goals. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD