How Much Will I Sag? (photo)

I have had implants (above the muscle) for 16 years. Firstly, soya bean oil then replaced in 2005 with silicone gel (I have no idea what size the implants were). I am now 40 years old and have had 3 children since my initial operation.I was 32A before augmentation (32DD now). I have had no problems but I have decided to have them removed. My surgeon thinks I will have a good result without a lift. Is this an optimistic viewpoint?

Sagging after implant removal

+3

In general, breast implants are a pillow and provide volume behind the base of the breast but do not lift it and when they are removed your breast doesn't actually sag. Implants can give the illusion of a lift and if you remove them, the volume loss can look like sagging, but it's an illusion and has nothing to do with your tissues. 

Also in general, if you remove breast implants that were properly fitted, the breast should return to the way it would have looked without the implants there. In other words the changes are because of the passage of time rather than because of the implant being there. The exception is when the implants were too big and distorted the tissues when they were put in. There is also more potential for distortion with implants above the muscle than below it. 

So the answer is that removing your breast implants will not actually make your breasts sag but they may look saggy without all the forward projection/fill. If they were saline, they could be intentionally drained to see what they would look like removed but this is not feasible with silicone gel-filled implants. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Removal

+1

It  is impossible to predict what the breasts will look like once the implants are removed. You appear to have good skin tone. The skin that has been stretched by the implantation will shrink.

You may not need a lift but be prepared for a very deflated breast appearance

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  I think the position of your nipple and areola will be good after breast implant removal and you will not need a lift.  Your breasts will have a very delfated appearance so be prepared.  It sounds like the majority of your breast size currently is secondary to the implant.

Dr Remus Repta

Implant removal

+1

It is difficult to predict the final shape of your breasts after implant removal. At least from the photos it appears that your breasts have maintained a nice shape and the nipples are still above the breast fold.

Breast Appearance after Removal of Breast Implants?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. As you can imagine, it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination, especially considering that the size of breast implants you have in place is unknown. The good news in your case is that your breasts appear to have maintained a nice shape, symmetry, and positioning on the chest wall.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/breast-implant-removal.htm