Would Liposuction Be Safe For Me Even If I've Had a Dystal Pancreatectomy With Spleen Removal?

Two years ago I had a non-malignant tumor which required a dystal pancreatectomy with spleen removal. Would liposuction be safe for me? I am an avid exerciser who is in excellent health.

Minimizing surgical risks

+2

Your concerns are healthy and understandable. However a surgeon's job is not only to perform the surgery well, but to perform it safely. It should be routine to take all surgery seriously, including liposuction. Every patient should have blood tests and appropriate studies based on your history and physical exam. A physical exam would make sure you do not have a hernia and appropriate blood work would determine if your pancreas is functioning properly as well as give a clear view of your general health. Such preoperative evaluation should be looked at  in all patients to minimize surgical risk. Occasionally patients having elective surgery want to avoid these studies in elective cosmetic surgery to minimize cost, but shortcuts and compromise must be avoided to maximize safety. 

A splenectomy does cause a slight increase in certain infections, but this mild risk does not precluded surgery in healthy individuals like yourself. If you surgeon is thorough in their preoperative evaluation and you have no issues on your exam and blood work, your risk of surgery should not be acceptable. 

Lipo after abdominal surgery

+2
Given that all of the aforementioned medical problemsmare under control and as long as you don't have a hernia and use a BCPS you should be able to have lipo without problems.you should discuss all previous operations with your surgeon.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Will Be Safe Assuming...

+2

It sounds as though you have your medical issues under control. If that is true, then the only real concern is whether or not you have a hernia under the incision. That can be determined by your surgeon at the time of consultation. Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon