Safest Treatment for Sun Damage and Broken Capillaries in Sensitive Skin?

I was diagnosed with mild Rosacea 3 years ago. After being on a low-dosage Isotretinoin for 9 months my skin stabilised. I have some sun damage and brown spots/patches, I have several broken capillaries around my nose, my pores are enlarged and skin looks rough. I am currently using Obagi Nu derm with Tretinoin 0.05 which seems to even out the skin tone but I would like to get treatment for the redness and roughness. Which is safest: Sciton BBL or Pulsed Dye Laser?

Treatment of Sun Damage and Broken Capillaries

+1

I believe you would be very happy with a series of BBL/IPL treatments as well as several light MicroLaser Peels.  The combination of these two procedures would provide excellent improvement in your skin pigmentation issues as well as the broken capillaries and skin texture problems.

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers - Sun Damage

+1

Thank you for your question. For the redness, capillaries, I recommend a V-Beam Perfecta or an IPL.  The Sciton will help improve your skin texture and the appearance of pores. The combination will work the best to improve all of your issues.  Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in laser surgery and ethnic skin for the most effective and safe treatments. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Treatment for Sun Damage and Broken Capillaries in Sensitive Skin

+1

Pulsed dye laser or ipl are excellent treatments for sun damage and broken capillaries. Even more important than the modality, you should be seeking an experienced and expert practitioner who can customize a treatment for  your condition.

Pulse Dye Lasers and IPLs for Redness and Sundamage.

+1

Pulse dye lasers or IPL treatments are great choices for your condition.  Keep in mind that multiple treatments are usually recommended for optimal results.  I like telling my patients that, on average, they will need 3 to 5 treaments, usually 2 to 4 weeks apart. 

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Dr. Grant Stevens        Marina Plastic Surgery Associates          Marina del Rey, CA         The Institute

Web reference: http://marinaplasticsurgery.com/

V-beam laser for rosacea and facial blood vessels

+1

Pulsed dye technology has been around since the  early 1990s and has been improved with two major developments over time.  V-beam pulsed dye utilizes one wavelength of light which is specific for capillary blood vessels, whereas broad band light, such as IPL, is not a laser, but a light source, and uses multiple wavelengths of which the desired ones can be allowed to pass through selected filters. I have favored the PDL / V-beam laser for two decades. It is very safe and effective.  Tretinoin, or Retin-A, can make the skin more sensitive and is helpful to the skin's health by promoting blood flow in the dermis, but for some people, it can increase the number of unwanted capillaries in the surface skin which would be counterproductive for you.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/laser-skin-resurfacing/index.html

Pulsed dye laser for rosacea

+1

I prefer the pulsed dye laser for redness and roughness on the skin. You can consider combining an IPL device witht the pulsed dye laser so that the brown patches could be eradicated along with the facial redness. I usually find 3-5 treatments are necessary for optimal results. Good luck. 

San Diego Dermatologist

Rosacea treatment post accutane

+1

I would be a little cautious using almost any laser 9 months post Accutane.  There are scattered reports of hypertrophic scarring associated with various lasers.  Most people advise to wait at least a year of being off Accutane, before doing lasers,dermabrasions or chemical peels  If you decide to get treated, I would have your doctor do a small test area first.  I have had good luck with an IPL and sometimes combine it with the Varilite KTP laser in  treating rosacea.  The PDL iis also great for vascular lesions, but will not help the brown patches.  Lana Long, M.D.

Cincinnati Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for Rosacea

+1

The Pulsed Dye laser (PDL) is my favorite for the treatment of blood vessels often seen with Rosacea.  Rosacea causes blood vessels close to the skin to dilate making the skin appear red.  The PDL uses a wavelength that specifically targets blood vessels.  It usually takes 3-5 treatments separated 4 weeks apart.  Dr. Halem

IPL and Rosacea

+1

I would actually recommend IPL for your rosacea. I have so many rosacea patients and have treated so many rosacea patients tremendously over the years with IPL. I prefer the Syneron RF machines because there are multiple treatments heads on the machine to use - SR and SRA. SRA works tremendously for surface area reds, like those from rosacea. Combining Cutera Laser Genesis with these treatments is also great and yields tremendous results.