Is It Safer to Get a Gore-tex Implant to Raise the Bridge of my Nose or Continue Getting Radiesse Injections Twice a Year?

Depressed bridge after rhinoplasty

+2

I would not choose either option. Radiesse will continue to form scar tissue over time, so it may be risky to continue these injections over many years. Injections in the nose carry more risk than those in other areas. I personally prefer not to place materials such as Gore-Tex in the nose. In your case, I would consider a revision surgery with placement of cartilage grafts. Depending on what is available, cartilage from your septum or ear could be used.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are lots of ways to raise the bridge of the nose...

+2

Hello Singapore3898,

Thanks for your question.  Your situation is not atypical.  Many patients who undergo nonsurgical injection rhinoplasty are eventually faced with the idea of a more permanent nasal bridge augmentation.  When using Radiesse, the biggest concern is that there may be soft-tissue calcification left behind making any surgical dissection more difficult potentially injuring the blood supply to the skin of the nose.  This risk can be somewhat reduced by switching to another injectible such as hyaluronic acid, or fat grafting the nasal bridge.  These materials, of course, have their own pros and cons.  If you eventually choose to put in an implant, a gortex or silicone based implant will work well.  I can only assume from your name that you are in Singapore, which makes it likely that a silicone implant would be offered to you.  Silicone implants are commonly used in East Asian countries for dorsal nasal augmentation.  But remember, even implants have complications associated with them.  Make sure to get clear answers from your surgeon before moving forth.  I hope this answer helps.

Warmest regards,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse vs gortex implant

+1

I think your choice boils down to whether you want to have a surgical procedure or continue with a simple office procedure and the ultimate cost of either. If you decide you might want to have surgery then your PS will explain the various choices. You might not need any implant or graft (own tissue).

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse filler for the nose or a nose job

+1

You should seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to determine your candidacy for a rhinoplasty. The protrusion may be planed down so that you may not need a filler or implant. If an implant is possible, then the risks of migration and infection requiring removal needs to be discussed vs. the risk of Radiesse being thick and could risk compromise of the blood flow.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Radiesse

+1

Radiesse into the nose should be very accurate and precise otherwise causes a deformity that you have to live with till it disolves. Radiesse should last more than six months in the nose.

The decision whether to continue with Radiesse or switch to a permanent surgcal procedure should be your decision.

understand the pros and cons of each procedure, the risks invopved then decide.

Gortex in the nose or any foriegn material, can get infected, slip and slide, be noticable.

Radiesse has to be accurate and precise, otherwise you will live with  the deformity till it disolves (some times it may not disolve or forms a scar)

Nasal Bridge Augmentation

+1

Hi,

My opinion is that its probably better to get surgical augmentation of the nasal bridge either with gortex or silicone implant. Repeat injections may cause unwanted scar tissue over time.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Dorsal Nasal Augmentation Can Be Done By A Variety of Implanted Materials

+1

Augmenting the upper bridge of the nose to camouflage a hump can be done by a variety of materials. Gore-tex or any synthetic material is one option and they all have been proven to work. But they are not complication free and could result in visible edges or infection. Since placing this implant will require a minor surgical procedure, another option to consider is injectable diced cartilage. Using a small piece of septal cartilage, this is diced into very small pieces and placed in a small syringe. The syringe is passed up inside the nose and the cartilage is injected into the dorsal area. The cartilage can then be massaged into a smooth shape. This cartilage will not resorb and will be a natural and permanent method to smoothing out your small nasal hump.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD