Can I Safely Have my Teeth Whitened After my Braces Come Off?

Does the cement used in attaching braces to my teeth pose problems for teeth whitening after having braces removed? Should I have my teeth whitened by a professional or can it be done at home right away?

Teeth whitening after braces

+2

Teeth whitening after braces is a very popular service in my practice. Once your braces are removed, it's ok to start whitening. There is probably a lower incidence of side effects with dentist office whitening products vs. over the counter ones because office patients are screened first and monitored, and treatments are customized to each person.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening after braces off!!

+1

Rather than heading to the local cosmetic counter or shopping mall in search of teeth whiteners, start with a dental check up.This way, it can be diagnosed  the cause of discoloration—injury, stains from food or tobacco antibiotic treatment and so on. Whitening products only work on natural tooth enamel, not on crowns, veneers, bonding materials or tooth colored fillings.Does this mean if you have any of the above mentioned conditions you are stuck with yellow teeth? Absolutely not! The diagnosis is important; from there, it can be determined  whether whitening will work for you and which product will suit you best; otherwise you could be wasting time and money! Studies have shown the first thing a person notices when they meet you is your smile. Being a cosmetic dentist I am aware of how desirable it is to have white, bright teeth and how it impacts your confidence, well being, and your entire life. By seeing a trained cosmetic dentist, you can achieve not only a whiter, more attractive smile, but one that is healthy and contributes to your overall health.

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening after braces

+1

Tooth whitening is common practice and especially after braces.  However, in children I do not bleach their teeth.  Usually after 17 or 18 years old I will proceed with bleaching.  There are too many potential complications with bleaching childrens teeth.  Parents have the choice to use over the counter bleaching products but at their own risk.  Much can be accomplished with bleaching and a new smile created!  It is a wonderful service to have and not expensive for the patient.

Keith Blankenship, DDS
Jacksonville Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening after braces

+1

When your braces are removed all of the cements to keep them bonded to the teeth should be removed.  I would then have your teeth cleaned and once cleaned you should be ok to have them whitened unless the dentist finds decay

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening After braces

+1

After your braces are off its best to have a cleaning then you may speak to your dentist to see which type of whitening is best for you and the results your looking to achieve..( Take home trays, In house)

Ashkan Haeri, DMD
Mission Viejo Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening after braces

+1

All of the glue is removed when the braces are removed so your teeth should respond to bleaching the same as someone who has never had braces.

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist