Underwire Bra and Breast Implants, Safe?

I have have saline implants for nearly 1yr. Is it ok to wear underwire bras at this point? Just recently I am finding it painful ...obviously,if it hurts Im going to stop wearing the underwire lol..But I was wondering if I shouldnt be wearing them Ever??Thanks for your help.

Underwire bras are fine after breast augmentation as long as all scars are soft

+8

Breast implants are often inserted by way of an incision in the inframammary fold (the crease underneath the breast).  This is also where the bottom of your bra sits, regardless of whether your bra has underwire. 

It takes up to a year for all scars to be completely "mature" after any surgery.  A mature scar is soft, flat and faded, and will tolerate pressure over top such as underwire.

I counsel my patients that they can definitely wear their own bra (or buy a fun new one!) 6 weeks to 3 months after surgery.  Underwire totally depends on their stage of healing and whether they are comfortable.  But it is definitely safe!

If you wish to do so, I would recommend trying an underwire bra for a few hours at a time, and after that period, check  the area beneath the breast for irritation.  If any sore, red areas or blisters occur, then WAIT until your scars are more mature until re-trying underwire.

There are many wire-free, soft, supportive bra options available nowadays.  Visit a professional bra-fitter to ensure you are wearing the correct size and fit for your specific body!  Department stores such as Nordstom have experienced fitters waiting for you!

Karen M. Horton, M.D., M.Sc., F.R.C.S.C.

Underwire Bra after Breast Augmentation

+5

• I recommend waiting 6 weeks after surgery before wearing bras with underwires.
  • Underwire bras are safe after breast augmentation
  • If you are having pain, your bra is not fitting properly: go to a bra specialty store (NOT Victoria's Secret!) and get fit by a professional.

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com/denver-breast-augmentation-breast-implants

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Bras after breast augmentation in Dallas

+5

I allow my patients to wear underwire bras one month after surgery.  Even push up's are fine.  Make sure it's not too tight.  You just had them made larger, don't try to smash them down.  After surgery you'll be needing new bras so make sure they fit.

At one year after having breast augmentation, it should...

+5

At one year after having breast augmentation, it should be fine to wear an underwire bra.

For the first few weeks after surgery, I ask my patients to not wear an underwire bra if we placed the incision underneath the breast in the crease. But after everything heals, you shouldn't hurt it by wearing an underwire.

If you do notice pain, irritation, or redness around your incision, you should see your surgeon first and make sure they are okay with how things are looking.

You should wait about two months before wearing underwire bras

+4

since under wire bras tend to push up the breast implants, we recommend that are patients don't wear them for about two months after surgery. In most women the breasts have settled adequately during this time period, after which time there would be no restrictions. Sometimes I have my patients wear under wire earlier in order to prevent premature settling of the implants.

Web reference: http://www.beautifulfigure.com/breastlift_recovery.htm

Underwire bra and breast augmentation

+3

I generally do not recommend an underwire bra for about 4-6 weeks after breast augmentation.  Once a patient is completely healed and I feel their postoperative swelling has resolved, they are cleared to resume activity as tolerated and wear whatever they desire.

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Underwire bra after augmentation.

+3

An underwire bra is simply helps support the breasts and should be fine after augmentation if worn appropriately. If there is concern of upward displacement of the implants, I use a bandeau across the upper portion of the breasts. This is simply a velcro strap which prevents the implants from rising. After 4-6 weeks, the implants are much less likely to "ride up" and even push up bras are okay.

After a year, I see no reason why you cannot wear an underwire bra. If you are having pain from your bra, then obviously I would discourage wearing an underwire. If you are having pain without a bra, then I recommend you make an appointment to see your plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Underwire bra after breast augmentation

+3

Thanks for your question -

Breast augmentation is one of the most common procedures we perform in our Bay Area practice.

Implants can be placed through axillary (armpit), areolar (the darker skin surround the nipple) or IMF (breast fold) incisions.

Underwire bras can put pressure on the inframammary fold (IMF) incisions.

We typically ask our patient to wait about 1 month before wearing underwire bra when we use an inframammary fold incision.

Web reference: http://www.trivalleyplasticsurgery.com

It Is Very Safe To Wear Underwire Bras At 6 to 8 Weeks Following Breast Augmentation

+2

There is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to wear an underwire bra at this time.  We generally recommend waiting six to eight weeks following breast augmentation. The majority of patients who are one-year post breast enhancement are using underwire bras again.
We generally avoid using underwire bras for six to eight weeks following breast augmentation for two reasons.  With patients who have undergone sub muscular placement of implants, the pectoralis major muscle may undergo spasm in the early post-operative period.  This may force the implant in an upward direction and lead to malposition. When this situation arises we utilize compression to force the implant in a downward direction. An underwire bra would have the opposite effect.
Another reason for avoiding an underwire bra in the immediate postoperative period is the potential for it to irritate a fresh surgical incision. An infra mammary incision would lie directly under the underwire and this might lead to irritation of the incision.
After six to eight weeks, wound healing and muscle spasm should no longer be an issue. In most breast augmentation patients, it’s reasonable to resume the use of an underwire bra at this time.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

What type of bras to wear after breast augmentation

+2

A year after surgery you can wear any type of bra that is comfortable. Surgeons will vary on what, if any, type of bra should be worn immediately after surgery and for the first 3 months. It depends on exactly what was done, so it's usually an individual answer. After 3 months however, most of the healing should be done in order for you to wear what you want. I generally recommend to wear "something" in order to help prevent sagging.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/