Is It Safe to Wear a Helmet and Exercise Heavily After Botox?

I was told not to wear a helmet for 2 weeks. Is this normal? I ride horses and snowboard... I also do yoga and boot camp... I had botox injected in my jaw for teeth grinding and in my forehead and 11s.

Wearing a Helmet and Exercise After Botox

+1

Botox targets release sites on the nerve fibers which communicate with muscles and cause them to contract. The injection prevents these nerves from releasing a chemical called acetylcholine.

Wearing a helmet or exercising will not interfere with the action of Botox, and nor will it present safety issues. However, your doctor may give you post treatment recommendations and ask you to refrain from putting pressure on the area or engaging in strenuous exercise. This is usually intended for a few days at the most, not two weeks.

Web reference: http://www.finetouchdermatology.com/los-angeles-botox/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and exercise

+1

No physician can comment directly to you about your situation unless they were involved with your treatment. The restriction of the helmet may be specific to a unique concern your physician had in treating your TMJ, not the forehead lines. You need to check with them. They want you to receive the best result and may be concerned that the helmet is putting undue strain on the muscles of the jaw that they are trying to relax with the Botox.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/botox/index.html

Re: I was told not to wear a helmet for 2 weeks. Is this normal? I ride horses and snowboard... I also do yoga and boot camp...

+1

Two weeks seems excessive. It is common practice for some clinicians to advise clients to avoid exercise and manipulation of the treated area the same day of treatment. It is doubtful the helmet would have any effect on the Botox injections, given that the injection sites are outside of the margins of the average helmet.

Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Exercise and Helmet Wearing

+1

I usually instruct my patients not to massage or rub the area of Botox injections for the first 48 to 72 hours after the injection.  Manipulating the site of injection could result in having the Botox affect an adjacent muscle which you may not want to have been affected.  After the first couple of days the Botox problably will not be displaced or dislodged by wearing your helmet or by exercising.

Web reference: http://www.VincentLeporeMD.com

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Helmets and Exercise

+1

Yes. It is safe to exercise after Botox. Research shows Botox increases blood flow. Exercise increases blood flow. There is no scientific basis for avoiding exercise after Botox. 

Yes. It is safe to wear a helmet after Botox. The helmet will not change your Botox effect.

Yes. It would be unsafe to not wear your helmet if you ride a bike or motorcycle! 

Helmet and botox and exercise

+1

I usually have patients limit their activities for a few hours after Botox treatment.  By the next day it should be perfectly fine to wear a helmet or exercise.

Exercise after Botox

+1

I think this has to do with the technique and the amount of Botox injected with each injection site. I typically use microinjection technique with multiple injection sites and inject very small quantities. at the end of the procedure I gently massage the bumps so that when the patient leaves the office they have no bumps on their forehead etc. with my technique there is no restriction of exercises or wearing a helmet

Overnight should be fine.

+1

Two weeks is more than a bit excessive.  We ask patients not to work out until the next day and have never had an issue with this.

Helmets and exercise after Botox

+1

I ask patients not to press on their foreheads for about 24 hours after Botox. That's about it, so I can't imagine telling you two weeks! Exercise is fine.

I typically advise patient not to exercise that day only

+1

I typically advise patient not to exercise that day only.  I think wearing a helmet should be fine within 48 to 72 hours.  I advise patients not to massage the Botox injections.  Warmest regards.

Dr. Pippin

Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon