Safe for a Type II Diabetic to Have Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction?

Type 2 diabetes and cosmetic surgery

+1

Hi there-

Provided that your physician/endocrinologist does not object to the surgery and agrees your perioperative risk is acceptable, the surgery itself should be possible and safe.

The concern with diabetes is for healing problems and infection, as diabetic patients have limitations in these areas. You would need to accept the possibility that despite your surgeon's best efforts, you develop a wound or infection that takes time (some times a long time) to heal, and which might leave you with a less favorable scar.

Make sure your diabetes is very well under control.

+1

Although these surgeries are NOT prohibited for patients with diabetes, diabetes can make the wound healing process much more difficult if it is not well controlled first. Diabetic patients should be first be on a strict diet and exercise regimen before such a surgery. This will only make the final result that much better. 

Patients with diabetes need a FULL medical clearance before the surgery. For my diabetic patients, I work closely with their medical doctor to make sure that they recover from the surgery without difficulty.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Tummy tuck and breast reduction in a diabetic

+1

You would have to have your diabetes well controlled and of course obtaine proper medical clearance from your doctor., The best thing would be to have this done in a hospital setting.

Risk of Diabetes in Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

We need to remember that Cosmetic Surgery is "I Want Surgery" NOT "I Need Surgery". This means that risk factors need to be minimized as much as possible before having these operations. It goes without saying that Diabetes must be well controlled and that the Internist/Endocrinologist needs to be consulted before and be available should he be needed after wards.However, even if all these steps are taken, while surgery on the whole is relatively safe in diabetics when compared to non-diabetics, their risks for infection and healing complications would be slightly higher.

Breast reduction and tummy tuck is usually safe for patients with type II diabetes

+1

While it is important to make sure the blood sugar levels are under control and the patient's BMI is appropriate, there is no reason that a type II diabetic can not safely have breast reduction and tummy tuck at the same time. Making sure that your primary care physician or your endocrinologist clears you, you should expect a great result and even possibly a decrease in you weight and diabetes.

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Tummy tuck is safe despite diabetes

+1

Tummy tuck can be a safe procedure for those with type II diabetes with sound preparation beforehand. You should discuss your plans with your family physician, and your surgeon too should work with your family physician to develop a treatment plan and medical clearance so your procedure goes smoothly. Weight loss, and reduction of body fat through a tummy tuck procedure may if fact reduce medication or insulin requirements in some diabetics by reducing the bodies demand for available insulin. You should be aware that healing and infection risks can be increased with diabetes, though with good management diabetics do well with this procedure.

peterejohnsonmd

Type II Diabetes and Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction

+1

These operations are major surgeries that involve a significant amount of surgical time and post operative healing. Because of this, your diabetes needs to be under excellent control and you need to have any related medical problems optimally treated. If these conditions are met, then, yes, it is safe for a type II diabetic to have these procedures.

Since obesity frequently accompanies Type II Diabetes and both these procedures are best done on someone with an ideal weight, one other condition you should meet before having either of these procedures is a weight as near ideal as possible (unless you already there – you did not say).

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

It's safe for diabetics to have body contouring procedures

+1

If your blood sugars are in tight control and you do not have any cardiovascular sequelae of long term diabetes, then I think its reasonable to offer TT or breast reduction to patients. If you were my patient, I would have a frank discussion with your PMD and anesthesiologist about your medical issues. All issues would need to be sorted out prior to surgery.

We would also discuss the risk of delayed wound healing, infection and seroma, which is probably higher in all diabetics, especially those with poor glucose control. Lastly, I personally would not offer the TT and breast reduction as a combined procedure. I think its safe to keep elective surgery at less than 6 hours- frankly, I'm not fast enough to do both procedures in that amount of time. Other more experienced surgeons on this forum are probably faster.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Plastic surgery in a diabetic

+1

Patients with diabetes are certainly at an increased risk of complications with any surgery. You can probably undergo a tummy tuck and reduction relatively safely, if you diabetes is well-controlled. I suggest asking your endocrinologist if he/she feels this would be advisable in your particular case.

John Whitt, MD

Diabetes is not a contraindication to body contouring surgery

+1

Provided you maintain good control of your blood glucose levels with medication and diet, it more than acceptable to proceed with tummy tuck and breast reduction. Depending on any other medical issues you may have, including obesity, tobacco use, autoimmune disease, etc., your risk of wound healing complications may be just slightly or significantly higher.

Your best bet is consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have all your questions answered. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD