Is It Safe to Get a Tummy Tuck if You Are Not in a Normal BMI? or Are Dieting?

I have lost over 100 lbs due to diet and exercise. I got down to 175, gained to 187 and began Medifast. I will be at 145 lbs when I am scheduled to have my tummy tuck and will be loosing weight up until that date. I am only 5'2, but its the smallest I've ever got.Should I stop doing Medifast before hand? Could it affect the surgery? I am nervous as it is a serious operation but I have a huge amount of excess skin below my naval (even though you can see my rib cage and little fat above the naval)

BMI and tummy tuck

+1

It sounds like you are on the right track. Congratulations on your progress.  I don't think the Medifast with alter the course of your surgery. Continue to maintain a healthy diet and good luck with your surgery.

Be sure to keep your plastic surgeon up to date and let him know if there are any changes to any medical conditions you have prior to surgery.

I wish you well.

Weight is not as Important as Stability Over Time Before Tummy Tuck

+1

Hi there-

As long as you are no longer significantly overweight (and you are not), the actual number on the scale on the day you have your operation is not nearly as important as the fact that at the time of your surgery your weight should ideally have been stable for at least 4-6 months.

Having body contouring surgery at a time when your body is still changing will compromise your surgeon's ability to achieve the best outcome possible for you, and increase your risks of needing a revision procedure in the future.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Wt loss and timing for surgery

+1

Wow, congratulations on your fitness and health.  It sounds like you have made the right lifestyle changes. While losing weight is often the goal, it should be done in a sustainable and healthy way. Your protein and nutritional status is very important for predictable wound healing. Having said that, if you are planning to have progressive wt loss up to the time of surgery, you may want to have a second consultation with your surgeon the week or two prior because the indicated surgery may vary.  If your numbers are accurate, with a final cumulative wt loss of over 130 lbs you will likely be a better candidate for a lowerbody lift than a tummy tuck.  Of course a detailed examination with your plastic surgeon will help you make that decision. Best of luck. Dr. Renucci

John Renucci, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Is it safe to be on diet before TT?

+1

Congratulations! Sounds like you have overcome quite a challenge! You should be fine as long as you are not anemic or protein defficient. Enjoy your TT! Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after weight loss

+1
Congratulations on the weight loss! BMI is not a safety factor per se because you are no longer obese. The concern is whether you will have reached your final weight before the surgery. If not and you continue to lose weight, you may need a small revision afterwards. Obviously, you will undergo preop testing and any abnormalities in the blood work will be caught before surgery. Abdominoplasty is a serious operation but should do wonders for you in terms of removing the excess skin.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Weight and tummy tuck

+1

You should be commended for your hard work in losing weight.  Its important to do so in a manner that can be maintained, which often requires a change in eating and activity habits.  In terms of your abdominoplasty, you should be ok.  Severely overweight individuals such as those who have a BMI of 30 or greater are at higher risk of healing issues.  Continue doing your best to lose weight and you should be fine.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy Tuck Safety?

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your successful weight loss.

I think you are going about things correctly and hopefully will have a beautiful result after your tummy tuck surgery.  Being on Medifast  prior to your surgery should not affect the surgery.

Please make sure you're working with a well experienced  board-certified plastic surgeon.