Safe to Have Tummy Tuck at Current Weight?

I want to have a Tummy Tuck, but I'd like to know if it'll be safe for my current built. I am 5'10" and 225 pounds.

Ideal weight for Tummy Tuck

+2

Body mass index (BMI) is a good way to roughly gauge your weight for your height.

The formula is weight (in kilograms) over height (in meters, squared): (BMI=kg/m2)

BMI Categories:

* Underweight = <18.5
* Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
* Overweight = 25-29.9
* Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Your BMI based on your height and weight is 32.3, which is classified as obese.

I encourage all of my patients to get healthy, which includes a nutritious diet and regular exercise.

You should consult with a Primary Care Physician and a Nutritionist to ensure you are proceeding safely, and you need to become as physically active as is possible for you.

Do your best to reach your weight goals on your own, BEFORE seeking any Plastic Surgery such as a tummy tuck. That should be the reward for achieving everythng you can do on your own first!

Start with a small goal and involve your family and friends in your plan.

Best of luck to you!

Overweight and tummy tuck

+1
The first question is whether, in addition to the weight, you have any medical conditions which would contraindicate surgery such as diabetes, cardiac issues or hypertension. If not, the second question would be whether this is what you consider an ideal weight. If you expect or desire to lose weight, it would be better for you to achieve the goal weight prior to undergoing surgery a a subsequent weight loss would result in sagging of the skin. Obesity contributes to surgical complications so anything that you could do preoperatively to improve your physical condition would be greatly beneficial.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy Tuck for larger patients

+1

Without a history ane physical examination it is really not possible to answer whether or not you are a good candidate for an abdominoplasty. People carry their weight in different areas. At 5'10" and your current weight, you may be a good candidate for this procedure, however if all of your excess weight is in the trunk and you have a significant amount of intra-abdominal excess fat (in the abdomen, under the muscles) then you may need to lose weight to both improve the safety margin of the surgery and the ultimate aesthetic result.

Therefore, no substitute for a consultation and examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Always ask to look at before and afters as well, these can usually be reviewed from a doctors website before your visit.

Sean A. Simon, MD