Is It Safe to Get a Tummy Tuck After Having 3 C-Sections?

I am a 38 year old mother of 3. Each delivery was done by C-section. Needless to say I have a pouch that I hate. It distorts my once shapely figure. I am considering a tummy tuck. Is it safe. After my last child was born my OBGYN said that I had a great deal of scarred tissue and the uterus lining was very thin. How will this affect my health if I were to get a tummy tuck.

Tummy Tuck after C Section

A tummy tuck should not present any problems after you have had a C section (or multiple C sections).  The scarring from the previous C sections can usually be removed at the time of the tummy tuck.  The "pouch" that you describe can also be either completely removed or markedly improved.  The scarring around your uterus that you describe is not something that would be an issue during the tummy tuck;  the surgery only goes down to, but not through, your muscle.  Your "internal organs" are never exposed or seen during a tummy tuck.  

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

649 North New Hope Road
Gastonia, NC 28054

A tummy tuck is the best option.

It is very common for me to do a tummy tuck after multiple C-sections. The surgery does not go anywhere near your uterus. We stay outside of the abdomen and only get rid of the excess, skin and fat. Also I tighten your abdominal muscles. It is surgery, and there are problems that can occur, but in general, it is safe.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

308 E 79th St
New York, NY 10075

Safety of a tummy tuck

A tummy tuck is one of the more common plastic surgery procedures for exactly what you describe.  You need to be in good physical and mental health, a non-smoker, have a good support system, and you need to find an experienced real plastic surgeon.  While the surgery is common, it is arguably the riskiest cosmetic procedure because of the potential for blood clots in the vein.  You need the best most experienced surgeon.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Tummy Tuck safe after 3 C sections?

Yes, the tummy tuck doesn't go anywhere near where your OB/GYN found the scar tissue and thin uterus. The more pregnancies you've had, the more you'll benefit from a tummy tuck. Total cost for the usual tummy tuck at my practice is $5346, a mini is $3872 and a maxi is $6930. We have a 35 yr perfect safety record. The anesthesia can be the most dangerous part. Insist on IV sedation with tumescant local anesthesia.

Lawrence Foster, MD,FACS,FICS 

Lawrence Foster, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

589 Tahoe Keys Blvd.
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150

Tummy Tuck after 3 c-sections

Thank you for your question.   I do not think any of your scar tissue or issues with uterine lining will affect your tummy tuck procedure or recovery.  I would inform your gynecologist that you are having surgery though.  If there are issues with the uterus, there may be an indication to address these at the time of your tummy tuck.  I wish you a safe, happy, and healthy result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

9200 Pinecroft
The Woodlands, TX 77380

Tummy Tuck post C-Section

Women post C-sections (or multiple C-sections) can be good candidates for tummy tuck. Consult in person with 3 board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

1501 Forest Hill Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406

Tummy Tuck After Multiple C-Sections

It is generally not a problem for a tummy tuck to be performed on patients who have had multiple c-sections. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon if it is suitable for you.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

In short, "yes", it should be safe to get a tummy tuck after 3 C-sections.  It should be able to address your concerns.  That being said, you will need a formal history and physical exam to be done and I recommend a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. I wish you all the best.

For more information, please go to my website at:

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

400 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

C section scar and is a tummy tuck possible

The presence of a c section scar would not prevent you from having a tummy tuck whatsoever.  If there is a weakness in the scar area with a hernia (very rare), then it can be fixed easily as the dissection is done in that area.  The usual approach will remove that scar and the fatty tissue/skin between the new incision and above the belly button.  This can be done in almost all cases.

The muscles are tightened and the skin "redraped".  The belly button is "repopped" in the same birth area that the base is at this time.

The short answer is that the c section scar will NOT prevent you from having a tummy tuck.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.   Albany, New York

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

455 Patroon Creek Blvd #101
Albany, NY 12206

It is safe to have a tummy tuck after previous surgeries

Based on each patients evaluation during an in person consultation with a Board Plastic Certified Surgeon a determination is made on what procedure would be best for your situation to insure your results will be excellent. The procedure, tummy tuck also know as an Abdominoplasty usually will include tightening of the muscles from the breast bone down to the pubic bone, repairing any hernias if present, removing all of the excess skin and rejuvenating the belly button. This will leave you with a flatter more attractive abdomen.  Previous surgeries will not prevent having a tummy tuck, it might make the surgery slightly more complex. Having a qualified board certified plastic surgeon is always a must!

Z. Paul Lorenc, MD

983 Park Ave
NY, New York 10028