Is It Safe to Get a Tummy Tuck After Having 3 C-Sections?

I am a 38 year old mother of 3. Each delivery was done by C-section. Needless to say I have a pouch that I hate. It distorts my once shapely figure. I am considering a tummy tuck. Is it safe. After my last child was born my OBGYN said that I had a great deal of scarred tissue and the uterus lining was very thin. How will this affect my health if I were to get a tummy tuck.

Tummy Tuck after C Section

+2

A tummy tuck should not present any problems after you have had a C section (or multiple C sections).  The scarring from the previous C sections can usually be removed at the time of the tummy tuck.  The "pouch" that you describe can also be either completely removed or markedly improved.  The scarring around your uterus that you describe is not something that would be an issue during the tummy tuck;  the surgery only goes down to, but not through, your muscle.  Your "internal organs" are never exposed or seen during a tummy tuck.  

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

A tummy tuck is the best option.

+2

It is very common for me to do a tummy tuck after multiple C-sections. The surgery does not go anywhere near your uterus. We stay outside of the abdomen and only get rid of the excess, skin and fat. Also I tighten your abdominal muscles. It is surgery, and there are problems that can occur, but in general, it is safe.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Safety of a tummy tuck

+2

A tummy tuck is one of the more common plastic surgery procedures for exactly what you describe.  You need to be in good physical and mental health, a non-smoker, have a good support system, and you need to find an experienced real plastic surgeon.  While the surgery is common, it is arguably the riskiest cosmetic procedure because of the potential for blood clots in the vein.  You need the best most experienced surgeon.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck After Multiple C-Sections

+1
It is generally not a problem for a tummy tuck to be performed on patients who have had multiple c-sections. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon if it is suitable for you.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

+1
In short, "yes", it should be safe to get a tummy tuck after 3 C-sections.  It should be able to address your concerns.  That being said, you will need a formal history and physical exam to be done and I recommend a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. I wish you all the best.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

C section scar and is a tummy tuck possible

+1

The presence of a c section scar would not prevent you from having a tummy tuck whatsoever.  If there is a weakness in the scar area with a hernia (very rare), then it can be fixed easily as the dissection is done in that area.  The usual approach will remove that scar and the fatty tissue/skin between the new incision and above the belly button.  This can be done in almost all cases.

The muscles are tightened and the skin "redraped".  The belly button is "repopped" in the same birth area that the base is at this time.

The short answer is that the c section scar will NOT prevent you from having a tummy tuck.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.   Albany, New York

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

It is safe to have a tummy tuck after previous surgeries

+1

Based on each patients evaluation during an in person consultation with a Board Plastic Certified Surgeon a determination is made on what procedure would be best for your situation to insure your results will be excellent. The procedure, tummy tuck also know as an Abdominoplasty usually will include tightening of the muscles from the breast bone down to the pubic bone, repairing any hernias if present, removing all of the excess skin and rejuvenating the belly button. This will leave you with a flatter more attractive abdomen.  Previous surgeries will not prevent having a tummy tuck, it might make the surgery slightly more complex. Having a qualified board certified plastic surgeon is always a must!

Z. Paul Lorenc, MD

Tummy Tuck safe after 3 C sections?

+1

Yes, the tummy tuck doesn't go anywhere near where your OB/GYN found the scar tissue and thin uterus. The more pregnancies you've had, the more you'll benefit from a tummy tuck. Total cost for the usual tummy tuck at my practice is $5346, a mini is $3872 and a maxi is $6930. We have a 35 yr perfect safety record. The anesthesia can be the most dangerous part. Insist on IV sedation with tumescant local anesthesia.

Lawrence Foster, MD,FACS,FICS 

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Is a tummy tuck safe after 3 C-sections?

+1

Yes, a tummy tuck is definitely safe, even after three C-sections. In fact, a tummy tuck can be done after many different types of surgery, including hysterectomy, appendectomy and gall bladder removal. Sometimes there will be more scar tissue beneath the skin but an experienced plastic surgeon should be able to deal with this easily The scar tissue you refer to as around your uterus is really "out of play" since the uterus, bladder and intestines are inside the abdominal cavity, while the tummy tuck will be outside the abdominal cavity. Go for it and good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Tummy tuck is safe after C-section

+1

Many of my tummy tuck patients have had multiple C-sections and come in upset at the effect on their abdominal musculature, skin tone and appearance. The operation does not go near the uterus itself.  As for scar adhesions from the previous surgeries, this requires careful dissection.  The scar from the prior C-sections is removed, along with the excess skin, the muscles are tightened and the wound is closed with attention to detail to produce a finer, linear scar.  A tummy tuck will have no negative effect on your health. 

Robert L. Kraft, MD